Dec 06, 2022  
2018-2019 Academic Catalog 
2018-2019 Academic Catalog Archived Catalog

Forensic Science Transfer to The University of Montana-Missoula

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Programs of Study Alphabetical

Forensic Science applies science to civil and criminal proceedings. A profession working in a crime lab and/or processing evidence at crime scenes is one aspect of forensic science. A Bachelor of Science degree in a science discipline is required to apply for work in a crime lab. In Montana, The University of Montana - Missoula offers a degree in Forensic Chemistry, with students having work study and internship options with the State of Montana Crime Laboratory in Missoula. Eastern Washington University also offers a Forensic Chemistry degree with connections to the State of Washington Crime Lab(s). Students who wish to work in either the toxicology or controlled substances or chemistry sections of a crime lab will need a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry or Forensic Chemistry. Students who wish to work in the serology or DNA section of a crime lab will need a Biology or Forensic Biology degree.

Associate of Science Degree

Suggested course of study for a transfer to The University of Montana - Missoula:

First Year

First Semester Total: 17

Second Semester Total: 18

Summer Semester

  • Global Issues (G) Requirement Credit(s): 3
  • Humanities (H) Requirement Credit(s): 3
  • Social Sciences (B) Requirement Credit(s): 3
Third Semester Total: 9

Second Year

First Semester Total: 17

Spring Semester

Second Semester Total: 17

Total Credits: 78

1 Forensic Biology to University of Providence: substitute BIOB 272  and BIOM 250  for M 172  and the Physics courses.
2 Forensic Science to University of Providence: substitute CJUS 200  and CJUS 231  and STAT 216  for M 172  and the Physics courses.

*Indicates prerequisite and/or corequisite needed. Check course description.

Advising Information:

For more information about this program, contact the FVCC Student Support Center or the Faculty Advisor. 

Student Support Center Advisor Faculty Advisor                           
Russ Lamson Janice Alexander, Ph.D.
LRC 129 RH 107
(406) 756-3885 (406) 756-3948

The Associate of Science (AS) degree requires 60 credits at FVCC, and the Bachelor of Science (BS) degree at Montana University System (MUS) colleges and universities requires 120 credits. FVCC students may earn as many as 75-85 credits in preparation for some transfer majors, thus reducing the number of credits required for the BS degree at MUS schools. Also, by earning the AS degree from FVCC, students will have satisfied the lower division General Education Core (see General Education Requirements for requirements) for all MUS institutions and will not be required to meet additional lower division general education core requirements upon transfer. The suggested course load in AS programs is rigorous and is recommended for only the most prepared students. A more moderate semester credit load can be achieved by taking general education core courses during summer terms or completing one or two additional semesters at FVCC before transfer.

The information on all transfer programs is subject to change. Students should see their advisor to explore other possibilities not specifically listed in the program.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Programs of Study Alphabetical