Oct 07, 2022  
2018-2019 Academic Catalog 
2018-2019 Academic Catalog Archived Catalog

Education: Secondary Education - General Science Broadfield Transfer to Montana State University - Bozeman

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Programs of Study Alphabetical

Transfer to all Montana Colleges and Universities

In Montana, those desiring to become secondary teachers (grades 5-12) must pursue a bachelor degree in a certifiable major, often with a minor, from a four-year college or university. Most four-year institutions in Montana offer secondary teaching degrees but offerings for majors and minors vary from school to school, so students must carefully select their courses. Secondary education students can complete two years of study at FVCC in most majors. There are a few courses, listed below, that all secondary education majors must typically take before entrance into a teacher education program their junior year. Additionally, by seeking an associate’s degree from FVCC, the general education core for all MUS colleges and universities will have been completed before transfer.

I. Required for most Secondary Education Majors

II. Major/Minor Requirements in a Certifiable Area

See transfer school catalog and consult with your advisor for specific course suggestions. Suggested course outlines are shown below for common secondary teaching majors.

III. Teacher Education Program

Students will need five semesters at UM to complete the bachelor’s program and must be admitted to the Teacher Education Program prior to taking EDU classes at UM. Students must apply to the Teacher Education Program at UM by September 15 of  their second year - contact UM for details: http://coehs.umt.edu/departments/currinst/default.php.

Associate of Science Degree

Suggested course of study for a transfer to Montana State University - Bozeman:

First Year Total: 30-31

Second Year

Second Year Total: 31-32

Total Credits 61-63 **

1 Students could take both PSYX 100  and PSYX 230  at FVCC to satisfy the three-credit Life Span course at MSU or take any SS(A) at FVCC, not take PSYX 230 , and postpone the Life Span course until they are at MSU.

*Indicates prerequisite and/or corequisite needed. Check course description.

**As time and course load permit, students could also take BIOB 275 EDU 222 , and EDU 270  to fulfill an additional MSU requirement.

Advising Information:

For more information about this program, contact the FVCC Student Support Center or the Faculty Advisor. 

Student Support Center Advisor Faculty Advisor                         
Jori Bullemer Ruth Wrightsman, Ph.D.
LRC 129 RH 132
(406) 756-3905 (406) 756-3878
jbullemer@fvcc.edu rwrightsman@fvcc.edu

The Associate of Science (AS) degree requires 60 credits at FVCC, and the Bachelor of Science (BS) degree at Montana University System (MUS) colleges and universities requires 120 credits. FVCC students may earn as many as 75-85 credits in preparation for some transfer majors, thus reducing the number of credits required for the BS degree at MUS schools. Also, by earning the AS degree from FVCC, students will have satisfied the lower division General Education Core (see General Education Requirements for requirements) for all MUS institutions and will not be required to meet additional lower division general education core requirements upon transfer. The suggested course load in AS programs is rigorous and is recommended for only the most prepared students. A more moderate semester credit load can be achieved by taking general education core courses during summer terms or completing one or two additional semesters at FVCC before transfer.

The information on all transfer programs is subject to change. Students should see their advisor to explore other possibilities not specifically listed in the program.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Programs of Study Alphabetical