May 28, 2022  
2018-2019 Academic Catalog 
2018-2019 Academic Catalog Archived Catalog

Biology Transfer to Montana State University - Bozeman

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Programs of Study Alphabetical


Biologists are employed in a wide variety of fields including: research, teaching, industry, governmental agencies, consulting firms in environmental work, health, and wildlife. Some positions are open to holders of the bachelor’s degree, but most opportunities exist at the master’s and doctoral levels of preparation. Most biologists need a broad background in the natural sciences, mathematics, and communication skills.

Students may prepare themselves for transfer for nearly any biology-related bachelor’s degree and should be aware of the options in Montana. The biology department at The University of Montana - Missoula offers the following options: Biology Education, Cellular and Molecular Biology, Ecology for Teacher Preparation in General Science, Ecology and Organismal Biology, Field Ecology, Genetics and Evolution, Human Biological Sciences, Microbiology, Medical Laboratory Science, and Natural History. The Ecology and Organismal Biology and the Human Biological Sciences curriculums each have options of one or two years of Chemistry.

The biology department at Montana State University - Bozeman offers the following options: Biomedical Sciences, Biology Teaching, Biotechnology, Fish and Wildlife Ecology Management, Fish and Wildlife Management, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology and Immunology, and Organismal Biology. The intent of this program is to generally prepare students for biology-related programs for Montana universities, including The University of Montana - Missoula, Montana Tech of The University of Montana and Montana State University - Bozeman, and most other four-year institutions.

Students should choose from among the recommended courses with the close assistance of their advisor. Those with inadequate preparation to begin these courses can expect more than two years to ready themselves for transfer to the junior level. Close attention should be paid to specific program requirements at your desired four-year college or university.

Associate of Science Degree

Suggested course of study for a transfer to Montana State University - Bozeman:

First Year

First Year Total: 35-36

Second Year

Second Year Total: 37-39

Total Credits 72-75 **

1 If pursuing Fish and Wildlife Ecology and Management option, take CHMY 121  and CHMY 123 .

2 Not required for Fish and Wildlife Ecology and Management option.

3 M 153  is a prerequisite for PHSX 205  .

4 PHSX 220  and PHSX 222  may also be used.

5 M 171  may also be used.

6 CHMY 121  and CHMY 123  required if pursuing Biomedical Sciences, Biotechnology, or Microbiology and Immunology.

7 BIOB 260   required if pursuing Biomedical Sciences, Biotechnology, Medical Laboratory Science, or Microbiology and Immunology. 

8 BIOB 275  required if pursuing Biology Teaching, Biotechnology, Conservation Biology and Ecology, Fish and Wildlife Ecology and Management, or Organismal Biology.

9 BIOM 260  required If pursuing Biology Teaching, Biotechnology, Medical Laboratory Science, or Mirobiology and Immunology.

* Indicates prerequisite and/or corequisite needed. Check course description.

Advising Information:

For more information about this program, contact the FVCC Student Support Center or the Faculty Advisor. 

Student Support Center Advisor Faculty Advisor                             
Russ Lamson Ruth Wrightsman, Ph.D.
LRC 129 RH 132
(406) 756-3885 (406) 756-3878

The Associate of Science (AS) degree requires 60 credits at FVCC, and the Bachelor of Science (BS) degree at Montana University System (MUS) colleges and universities requires 120 credits. FVCC students can usually earn as many as 75-85 credits in preparation for many transfer majors, thus reducing the number of credits required for the BS degree at MUS schools. Also, by earning the AS degree from FVCC, students will have satisfied the lower division General Education Core (see General Education Requirements  for requirements) for all MUS institutions and will not be required to meet additional lower division general education core requirements upon transfer. The suggested course load in AS programs is rigorous and is recommended for only the most prepared students. A more moderate semester credit load can be achieved by taking general education core courses during summer terms or completing one or two additional semesters at FVCC before transfer.

The information on all transfer programs is subject to change. Students should see their advisor to explore other possibilities not specifically listed in the program.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Programs of Study Alphabetical