Sep 19, 2020  
2017-2018 Academic Catalog 
2017-2018 Academic Catalog Archived Catalog

Human Services Transfer to The University of Montana - Missoula

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Programs of Study by Degree Type (AS, AA, AAS, CAS, CTS)

Human Services

An Associate of Arts degree with an emphasis in Human Services prepares the student for transfer to a university for a major in Human Services, Social Work or other similar programs. The student will be prepared to enter the academic rigors of upper division courses.

Opportunities in the broad spectrum of human services include employment in mental health centers, mental institutions, welfare agencies, employment services, rehabilitation, parole, aftercare, outreach, and various social service agencies both private and public. The student is encouraged to work closely with their advisor in the selection of electives to ensure the maximum level of transferability. Graduates of this transfer program will qualify for an Associate of Arts degree and will be prepared to transfer to The University of Montana - Missoula, majoring in social work, or to a variety of other social service oriented programs. Upon successful completion of the social work program, students will be ready to seek employment in the social services or seek entry into a graduate school of social work.

Transfer Articulation Agreement

Students interested in the Bachelor of Social Work program at The University of Montana - Missoula can take nearly 80 lower division credits at FVCC but should earn at least an AA degree before transferring either physically to UM or through a distance learning program. A cohort of accepted students start the distance learning program in the fall of an odd year. The next cohort of students is slated to start fall of 2017. Students will be required to go to UM to meet with other members of the cohort and professors at least once or twice each semester.  The courses in this program are sequential in nature so a student must attend each semseter with that cohort or drop back two years into the next cohort. Students must apply and be accepted to the UM Social Work program a semester prior to enrolling in upper division classes whether they are attending UM campus or continuing at FVCC with the UM/FVCC partnership.

At least five of the eight out-of-department courses plus the UM Social Work equivalent courses (HS 100 , HS 210  and HS 250 ) must be completed or in process prior to applying. Often the senior-year internship may be completed in the Flathead Valley.

Associate of Arts Degree

Suggested course of study for a transfer to The University of Montana - Missoula:

First Year Total: 29

Second Year

Second Year Total: 33

Total Credits: 62

1 PSYX 264  is a highly recommended elective that doesn’t directly transfer for a specific class but will prepare the student for future classes.
2 PSYX 250  is preferred.
3 These courses are the eight out-of-department courses.

*Indicates prerequisite and/or corequisite needed. Check course description.

The information on all transfer programs is subject to change. Students should see their advisor to explore other possibilities not specifically listed in the program.

Advising Information:

For more information about this program, contact the FVCC Student Support Center or the Faculty Advisor. 

Student Support Center Advisor Faculty Advisor                             
Jori Bullemer Leanne Parker, Ph.D.
LRC 129 BSS 122
(406) 756-3905 (406) 756-4360


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Programs of Study by Degree Type (AS, AA, AAS, CAS, CTS)