Skip to Navigation
    Flathead Valley Community College
  Dec 16, 2017
2017-2018 Academic Catalog

Education: Elementary Education Transfer to The University of Montana - Western

Return to All Programs of Study Alphabetical Return to: All Programs of Study Alphabetical

Education: Elementary Education

Most Montana four-year colleges and universities have teacher training programs in both elementary and secondary education. Elementary teachers are certified by the state to teach grades K-8. The national job outlook for teachers for the next five to ten years is quite favorable due to projected high levels of retirement.

Students may begin their teacher training at FVCC and in most cases complete their education in an additional two years at a transfer institution.

Admission into teacher education programs at four-year schools can be competitive and requires good grades, experience working with youth, and strong recommendations. Students need to apply to the school of education at their transfer school, usually the semester prior to starting at that school.

If time permits, students may consider taking additional coursework to fulfill concentration or endorsement requirements at their transfer institutions. ECP 100 - First Aid and CPR , could be taken but current certification is needed prior to student teaching, so a student may want to wait until the semester prior to student teaching. Students should consult their advisors and their transfer institutions for specific recommendations.

The suggested course load for the elementary education transfer programs is rigorous. A more moderate semester credit load can be achieved by taking general education core courses during summer terms or by extending the course load for an additional semester or two at FVCC before transferring.

Education requirements vary from school to school, as well as deadlines to apply for admission into the School of Education. Therefore, it is important for students to meet with their advisor regularly.

Associate of Science Degree

Suggested course of study for a transfer to The University of Montana - Western:

First Year Total: 31-32

Second Year Total: 30-31

Total Credits: 61-63**

1 In the first two years, students should take two of the following three courses: ARTZ 105 , ARTZ 106 , THTR 101 .
2 Students may take PSCI 210  instead of GPHY 121 , but will then need a G course.
3 Take only if mathematics is the desired area of concentration.

*Indicates prerequisite and/or corequisite needed. Check course description.

**As time allows, students may take EDU 231 .
  UM-Western students are required to demonstrate computer competency by exam, or take CAPP 131 .

Advising Information:

For more information about this program, contact the FVCC Student Support Center or a Faculty Advisor. 

Student Support Center Advisor Faculty Advisor                    Faculty Advisor                      
Jori Bullemer Eliza Thomas, M.A. Laura VanDeKop, M.S.
LRC 129 BSS 120 RH 144
(406) 756-3905 (406) 756-4865 (406) 756-3998


The Associate of Science (AS) degree requires 60 credits at FVCC, and the Bachelor of Science (BS) degree at Montana University System (MUS) colleges and universities requires 120 credits. FVCC students can usually earn as many as 75-85 credits in preparation for many transfer majors, thus reducing the number of credits required for the BS degree at MUS schools. Also, by earning the AS degree from FVCC, students will have satisfied the lower division General Education Core (see General Education Requirements  for requirements) for all MUS institutions and will not be required to meet additional lower division general education core requirements upon transfer. The suggested course load in AS programs is rigorous and is recommended for only the most prepared students. A more moderate semester credit load can be achieved by taking general education core courses during summer terms or completing one or two additional semesters at FVCC before transfer.

The information on all transfer programs is subject to change. Students should see their advisor to explore other possibilities not specifically listed in the program.

Return to All Programs of Study Alphabetical Return to: All Programs of Study Alphabetical