Oct 07, 2022  
2017-2018 Academic Catalog 
2017-2018 Academic Catalog Archived Catalog

Tuition, Fees, Financial Aid



Semester Tuition and Fee Schedule

Tuition and Mandatory Fees vary based on the student’s residency status.

Approximate semester costs for the 2017-2018 academic year are shown below (for a full-time, in-district student with 14 to 18 credits):

Category Average Cost
Tuition $1690
Mandatory Fees $587
Course/Lab Fees $140
Books/Supplies $500
TOTAL (approximate) $2917

Category Descriptions:

  • Tuition is a set dollar amount per credit.
  • Mandatory Fees include activity fee, building fee, equipment fee, grounds and maintenance fee, student health fee, and the technology fee. Details on these fees are shown below.
  • Course/Lab Fees vary by course. These fees are for consumables such as materials, supplies, or access to software. Examples might be clay for ceramics, an access code to MyLabs for math, or chemicals in chemistry.
  • Books/Supplies include items the student purchases outside of class such as required textbooks, notebooks, paper, or calculators.

Mandatory Fees

These are fees applicable to all students. See current Tuition and Fee Schedule at www.fvcc.edu, search “tuition and fees,” for current fee amounts. Note the mandatory fees are subject to increase in the 2017-2018 academic year.

Activity Fee

A per credit activity fee is administered by Student Government to support programs, services and activities for FVCC students. Currently, $2 per credit for the 2016-2017 academic year.

Building Fee

A per credit building fee is assessed to maintain and improve existing facilities, to construct facilities and to purchase new land or buildings. Currently, $16.30 per credit for the 2017-2018 academic year.

Equipment Fee

A per credit equipment fee is assessed to assist FVCC in maintaining and updating instructional equipment. Currently, $6.30 per credit for the 2017-2018 academic year.

Grounds and Maintenance Fee

A per credit grounds and maintenance fee is assessed for the purpose of maintaining and improving the campus grounds and existing parking and to construct new parking areas. Currently, $2.70 per credit for the 2017-2018 academic year.

Student Health Fee

A flat fee is assessed to maintain and operate the Student Health Clinic for students enrolled in seven or more credits at the Kalispell campus. Fully online, Lincoln County Campus, and students registered for 4-6 credits may contact Business Services to opt in for access to the Student Health Clinic. Currently, $45 per semester for the 2016-2017 academic year.

Technology Fee

A per credit technology fee is assessed to off-set the cost of purchasing or leasing computer equipment, software, maintenance or related items which benefit instructional programs. Currently $11.40 per credit for the 2017-2018 academic year.

Other Fees

These fees are applicable in specific circumstances, for example as related to a specific course or form of payment. See current Tuition and Fee Schedule at www.fvcc.edu/tuition, search “tuition and fees,” for current fee amounts.

Calculator Fee

Calculators may be rented for a specific period of time from the Media Center and are paid for at the Bookstore.

Late Fee

An overdue fee of $10 per day will be assessed to the students account if not returned by the due date. A hold will be placed on the borrower’s college account and grades and transcripts from FVCC will not be accessible until the balance has been paid.

Replacement Fee

A fee of $100 is added to the student’s account if the calculator is lost or damaged.

Distance Learning Fee


Students receiving a course delivered via interactive television (ITV) are charged an additional fee of $30 per credit.

Distance Learning fees are refundable per the college’s refund policy.

Transcript Fee

Transcripts are free, but please allow up to a week to process each request (written and signed by the student). Rush and fax requests are $15 per transcript and will be processed within 1-2 business days. Transcripts are not issued until all accounts with the College are in good standing. Current students may print an unofficial transcript through the student portal at www.fvcc.edu.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment Overview

All accounts are due in full at the time of registration. The Business Services Office accepts cash, personal checks, money orders, Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express. Payments can also be made online at www.fvcc.edu via the student portal.

Deferred Payment

In the event the account is not paid in full at the time of registration, a deferred payment plan is established for all student accounts, unless these accounts are already covered in full by awarded financial aid, a third-party authorization, and/or scholarships.

For fall and spring semesters, a fourth of the total tuition and fees is required prior to the start of the semester. The remaining balance is payable in three monthly installments.

For summer semester, a third of the total tuition is required prior to the start of the semester. The remaining balance is payable in two monthly installments.

For Interim, short, or specifically designated classes, half of the total tuition is required prior to the start of the class and the remainder must be paid before the end of the class.

Applications for the Deferred Payment Plan are available online at www.fvcc.edu or from the Business Services Office.


  • In case of default or delinquency in the repayment of all or any part of a scheduled installment, a late charge of $25 shall be assessed against each late installment.
  • Grades and/or transcripts will not be released to students who have hold flags like unpaid library fines or outstanding balances owed the college.
  • Registration for subsequent semesters is blocked for students with unpaid balances.
  • Non-payment of tuition and fees may result in turning the account over for collections to the Montana Department of Revenue. Collection costs will be added to the balance.

Release of Information

The Business Services Office will not release a student’s account information without written permission of the student, including Running Start students, according to the FERPA regulations. Students may complete an Information Release Form at the Business Services Office which will permit the Business Services Office to discuss payment arrangements with parents, spouses, or others designated by the student.

It is assumed if a student has an authorization for payment from a third party (a contractual agreement) that the Business Services Office can discuss the student’s account with the payer.

Discounts and Waivers

Running Start

Classes taken as part of the Running Start program are offered at a reduced tuition. See www.fvcc.edu and search “Running Start tuition.” Payment and refund policies apply as stated for all students.

Senior Citizen Discount

The senior citizen discount is available to Flathead and Lincoln County in-district residents 65 years of age and older.

Tax Reporting

1098T Forms - FVCC will send a 1098T form to all students completing credits during the calendar year. A billing statement for the entire year will be provided upon request.

Tax Relief

There may be additional tax relief available. Please consult your tax advisor for details.


Refund of Tuition and Per Credit Fees

Refunds of tuition and fees are made according to the following guidelines:

  • Tuition and fees are refunded according to the refund policy detailed online at www.fvcc.edu, search “Refund Policy.”
  • Students must officially withdraw from their courses at the Admissions and Records Office located in Blake Hall.
  • Failure to attend courses DOES NOT drop or withdraw a student from those courses.
  • When a student whose tuition and fees are paid under a third party contractual agreement withdraws, he/she is required to make full payment on the balance owed.
  • Refunds are calculated from the date of official withdrawal, not from the date the student stopped attending classes.
  • The college processes tuition and fee refunds after the third week of the semester.
  • Refunds are mailed to the student’s address on file with the Business Services Office.
  • All existing debts such as library charges, calculator replacement, and deferred payment plan balance, may be deducted from any refund due to the student.
  • Questions regarding refunds should be directed to the Business Services Office in BH 132 or call (406) 756-3831.

Refund Schedule

The refund schedule presumes the account is paid in full at the time of registration. It is based on the total amount owed the college, not the amount paid. The refund schedule is date specific.

Refunds are calculated from the day the Schedule Change form is received in the Registration Office. Students who do not officially withdraw owe full tuition and fees and may receive an “F” for the course. The length of a course determines which refund schedule applies when a student drops a course.

9 to 16-week courses: Refund of Tuition and Fees:
Courses that last at least 63 calendar days
  1st week of semester 100%
  2nd week of semester 50%
  After 2nd week of semester No Refund
Classes beginning before or after the 1st week of the semester:
  1st week of class 100%
  2nd week of class 50%
  After second week of class No Refund
Short courses up to 8 weeks:  
Courses that last fewer than 63 calendar days
  1st business day following 1st class 100%
  After 1st business day following 1st class No Refund

Note: Students may withdraw from courses until the 75% point of the course.

In order to prevent a full semester course from appearing on a student’s transcript, the course must be dropped by the end of the third week of the fall or spring semester. For summer semester, short or late-starting courses, the course must be dropped by the end of its refund period.

Financial Aid students should refer to the withdrawal policy in the Financial Aid section of the catalog.


Inadequate knowledge regarding the refund policy is not considered sufficient cause for student appeal.

Failure to attend DOES NOT withdraw a student from their courses, nor does it excuse them from their financial obligations to Flathead Valley Community College.

Students wishing to appeal the refund policy may do so before the end of the term by submitting a written appeal explaining their particular circumstances to the college’s Vice President of Administration and Finance.

Students with Third-Party Sponsors should meet with their sponsor prior to making changes to their schedules. Sponsorship payment of tuition and fees may be withheld making the student responsible for payment to the college.

Financial Responsibility

Financial Liability

Unless a student officially withdraws from classes before the start of the semester, the student remains responsible for the balance owing on the account. The non-attendance of classes does not release the student from the obligations for the debt.

Students receiving financial aid may be liable for a repayment of funds to the college. They should consult with the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing.

Students receiving payment from an employer or job retraining program are responsible for the remaining balance of the account if they withdraw before fulfilling those contractual agreements. Students should check with their sponsor before withdrawing.

Financial Obligations

Students who owe FVCC money cannot register for the succeeding semester, secure transcripts, records, grades, diplomas or degrees until the obligations are paid or satisfactorily adjusted through the Business Services Office.

Late Payment Fee

In case of default or delinquency in the repayment of all or any part of a scheduled installment, a late charge of $25 shall be assessed against each late installment.

Late Registration Fee

A $40 late registration fee is charged to each student registering or adding classes after the third week of the semester. For short and late starting classes, the fee will be charged if registering after the class has begun.

NSF Check

A fee is charged for each non-sufficient fund check written to the college. All NSF checks are turned over to the Flathead County Attorney for the cost of the check plus the additional fee assessed by the county. Holds are placed on student accounts for NSF checks, and the student cannot register or receive transcripts until this debt is satisfied at the Flathead County Attorney’s office.

Financial Aid



  • A student must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • A male student must be registered with Selective Service.
  • A student must have a high school diploma or GED/HiSET.
  • A student may receive federal or state financial assistance only if he/she does not owe a repayment on federal financial aid previously awarded and is not in default on any federal loan previously received.
  • A student must be enrolled in a program leading toward a degree or certificate offered by FVCC.
  • A student must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP):
    1. A student must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average in previous coursework at FVCC and have successfully completed 67% of his/her attempted hours at FVCC.
    2. Degree requirements must be completed within a specific time frame. The maximum time frame for a program of study at FVCC is 150% of the program requirements (i.e. an AS degree requires 60 credits for graduation so maximum time frame would be 90 attempted credits). Hours earned at FVCC, as well as hours transferred and accepted by FVCC, are considered in this maximum time frame.
    3. For more detailed SAP information, please visit our website at www.fvcc.edu/financialaid.

How to Apply

  • Complete the FVCC admission process for a degree or certificate program; and
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov. This application can take three to four weeks to process, so early application is encouraged.

Students who submit their FAFSA by December 1 and provide all requested information within two weeks will be given first priority for Work Study funds, and FSEOG as funding permits.

When To Apply

Students must apply for financial aid each academic year. Applications are available after October 1 for the following fall and should be submitted as soon as income tax return information from the previous year has been compiled by the students and/or their parents. Applications are processed in the order received.  Students are notified of their awards beginning in March.

Federal and State Aid

Flathead Valley Community College administers a variety of government financial assistance programs for degree-seeking students. Students are required to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to determine eligibility.

Federal Pell Grant

The value of this grant varies from year to year depending on the appropriations from Congress. The projected maximum annual award is $5,920 for two semesters of full-time attendance. Full and part-time students are eligible. A student’s particular dollar amount depends on the student’s expected family contribution (EFC) from the FAFSA and enrollment status term by term during the year.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This grant is awarded to students with the lowest EFCs who are also eligible for the Pell Grant. Full and part-time students are eligible. Annual awards range from $200 to $500.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG)

For students who are not Pell-eligible; who’s parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001; and who, at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death, were less than 24 years old or were enrolled at least part-time at an institution of higher education. Maximum is same as Pell maximum; payment adjusted for less-than-full-time study.

Work Study

Through part-time employment on campus, students who show financial need may earn a portion of their educational expenses. Ten to fifteen hours per week is the recommended work load. Students are paid a competitive wage and may gain experience in their career field.

Direct Stafford Loans

Eligible students registered in six or more credits may borrow up to $5,500/$6,500 per year. Additional eligibility may exist for an independent student. New interest rates go into effect on July 1 of each year and the rate is set by Congress annually. Please check out our website at www.fvcc.edu/loans for the current rates or contact the financial aid office. Repayment of principal and interest begins six months after the student is no longer enrolled or drops below half-time attendance (six credits).

Direct Plus Loans

Eligible parents may borrow for their dependent undergraduate student(s) enrolled at least half-time. New interest rates go into effect on July 1 of each year and the rate is set by Congress annually. Visit our website at www.fvcc.edu/loans for the current rates or contact the Financial Aid Office.

In addition to the above programs, FVCC also works with Third- Party Sponsors who provide payment. These include Job Service, Community Action Partnership of Northwest Montana, Vocational Rehabilitation, Worker’s Comp, Head Start, various employers, and others. All sponsorship authorizations must be sent to the Financial Aid Office. Authorization letters must be received prior to the start of the semester.

Changes in Enrollment Status

Financial aid will be awarded based on the student’s FAFSA application. Enrollment verification will be completed after the 15th class day and financial aid awards will be adjusted based on the student’s current registration at that point in time. Any changes to enrollment after that date will not affect the value of a student’s award package, unless a student drops a course that has not started, or withdraws from all courses for that term.

Students who are withdrawing from classes after the 15th class day should review the eligibility section of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements to ensure they are maintaining the required academic standards.

Financial Aid Refunds

If students are receiving more financial aid than their direct institutional costs, they will receive a refund check from the college. These checks will be issued about a month into the semester.

In some circumstances, students who are registered in late starting classes may have their refund check reduced or held until they are in attendance in the late starting courses and have passed the refund period for those courses.

Withdrawal/Return of Title IV Funds

Financial aid recipients of Pell Grant, FSEOG, IASG, Stafford or Plus Loan funds are advised to first meet with the Director of Financial Aid before completely withdrawing from all classes for the semester. The Director will explain the consequences of a withdrawal, as well as the financial implications of this action.

If a student officially or unofficially withdraws (stops attending classes) before the 60% point of the semester, federal regulations require that the school complete the Return of Title IV Funds calculation.

The student’s withdrawal date, in calendar days, is used to determine the percentage of the semester that the student completed. This percentage is used to determine the “earned” aid that a student is eligible to retain. The student will be responsible for any “unearned” aid that MUST be returned. Examples of this calculation can be provided by the Financial Aid Office.

The student’s withdrawal date is either the date they began the withdrawal process or last day they attended classes. For a student who didn’t officially withdraw, the withdrawal date is the last date of attendance as reported by the instructor or the 50% point in the semester.


Flathead Valley Community College offers numerous need-based and merit-based institutional and privately funded scholarships. To qualify for need-based scholarships, students must have applied for financial aid by completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) application at www.fafsa.gov and demonstrate financial need. Merit-based scholarships are based on grade point average, academic standing, program of study, or activities.

Applications and the detailed scholarship brochure listing all the available scholarships are available at the FVCC Financial Aid Office and the LCC Student Services Office. This information can also be found online at www.fvcc.edu/scholarships. Scholarship deadlines exist throughout the calendar year; however, for priority consideration apply by February 15 for the following academic year. The award process and regulations are subject to change. In addition, outside scholarship opportunities are published in “The Privy Press” and “Timber Alerts” as they become available.

Veterans Benefits


The Veterans Affairs Office assists veterans in enrolling at FVCC, applying for their educational benefits, contacting the Veterans Administration when benefits payments are delayed, securing tutorial assistance and arranging transfer to other institutions so that payment of educational benefits will not be unnecessarily interrupted.

How to Apply

Applications for veterans educational benefits should be initiated through the Veterans Affairs Office in Blake Hall or by calling (406) 756-3982. Veterans should be prepared to provide a certified copy of their DD-214 and/or DD Form 2384 (notice of basic eligibility) along with some personal history. To receive advance payment, students are required to have a complete admissions file and to contact the school certifying official at FVCC at least 90 days in advance of the semester for which they plan to register.


  • All degree and certificate programs offered at FVCC are approved for benefits under the current GI Bills.
  • Widows and children of veterans who died of service-connected disabilities or who have total and permanent service-connected disabilities may be eligible for Chapter 35 educational benefits or the Fry Scholarship.
  • The Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty Educational Assistance Program, Chapter 30 - may provide benefits for individuals who first entered on active duty after July 1, 1985.
  • The Montgomery GI Bill, Chapter 1606 - Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program (including National Guard) provides benefits for individuals who enlist, extend or reenlist for at least six years after July 1, 1985. Those individuals are required to have completed an initial active duty for training.
  • The Ronald Reagan National Defense Authorization Act established Chapter 1607 - Department of Defense Educational Program to provide educational assistance to members of the reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operations) as declared by the President or Congress. This program is being “sunsetted” by the VA as of 11/14/2016.
  • The post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 or “New GI Bill” provides benefits for veterans who have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after September 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or who are honorably discharged or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.  Veterans with eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and any other GI Bill program must make an irrevocable election of the Post-9/11 GI Bill before receiving any benefits.  The Post-9/11 GI Bill has a few specific components that are unavailable in other GI Bill programs: Yellow Ribbon Program and Transfer of Entitlement Options.
  • Although most veterans have 10 years from their date of discharge to use their VA educational benefits, the “New GI Bill” allows 15 years.

Benefits Requirements

Rates of benefits vary. For the most recent information or more information on all VA educational programs, visit the VA website at www.gibill.va.gov or call toll free 1-888-442-4551.

All veterans and eligible individuals receiving subsistence allowances under the GI Bill are required to report PROMPTLY to the Veterans Affairs any changes which may affect the amount of money being received. Students are required to report when they drop courses, withdraw from school, change marital status or stop attending classes for any reason. Students are not only expected to achieve satisfactory progress but to regularly pursue goals and attend classes.

The repeat of a course for a grade of A, B, C, D, S or I will not count toward the required minimum credit hours. However, if the first grade earned was a F, the course may be repeated for veteran’s credit. Veterans educational benefits will not pay for audited classes, course challenges or unsatisfactory grades.

Students receiving Veterans educational benefits will be placed on academic probation any time his/her cumulative grade point average (GPA) falls below 2.0.

A student on probation will be required to meet with a retention advisor before starting the next semester to discuss academic goals and barriers and ways to achieve the goals. A review of the academic assistance available at FVCC and the development of a plan to assist the individual in achieving his/her academic goals will also take place.

If a student fails to improve his/her GPA each term while on academic probation, he/she will have two options - to choose academic suspension for a period of no less than one year or to agree to a plan of extensive remediation developed by the college. If remediation is unsuccessful or if the student fails to comply with the prescribed plan, he/ she will be suspended immediately for no less than one year. A student reinstated after being on academic suspension will be required to meet with a retention advisor prior to registering each semester.

Once a student’s cumulative GPA improves to a 2.0 or better, he/ she will be removed from academic probation or suspension status and will no longer be required to meet with a retention advisor.

FVCC will be participating in the Yellow Ribbon program for Veterans using the Post-9/11 GI Bill during the 2017/2018 academic year. Visit www.gibill.va.gov for more information about the Yellow Ribbon Program.

VA laws are subject to change without notice. Students should visit the GI Bill website for the most updated information: www.gibill.va.gov.

Section 702 of Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 allows a “covered individual” to be charged at the in state tuition rate.  A “covered individual” is a veteran, individual using transferred benefits, or individual using benefits under the Fry Scholarship who enrolls in the school within three years of discharge or death in the line of duty of a Service member following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.  Students maintain covered individual status as long as they are using Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) or MGIB-AD (Chapter 30) benefits and remain continuously enrolled at the SAME public university.