Sep 27, 2021  
2017-2018 Academic Catalog 
2017-2018 Academic Catalog Archived Catalog

Admissions and Registration


Flathead Valley Community College has an “open door” policy for those who are 16 years or older. FVCC does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, religion, creed, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, gender or sexual orientation in the education programs and activities which it operates. FVCC encourages individuals to seek admission into the college if they feel their educational needs will be met by the programs and services offered by the college. The admissions process is based on self-selection, and students may apply at any time throughout the year.

Admission to a degree/certificate program shall be open to anyone who has earned a high school diploma from an accredited high school or received a high school equivalency diploma. Exceptions may be made for students enrolled in Running Start/Dual Enrollment programs. Exceptions will be approved by the Registrar.

Application Deadline: One week prior to the start of the semester.
The admission file, complete with all records listed below, must be provided to the Admissions Office by one week prior to the start of the semester.

For non-degree students, a complete admission file consists of the following:

  • A completed Application for Admission form;
  • Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) immunization records for anyone born on or after January 1, 1957 if taking six (6) or more credits a semester; and
  • Residency verification when requested.

For degree students, a complete admission file includes:

  • A completed Application for Admission form.
  • After application for admission has been submitted, the following records must be provided:
    1. Official high school transcript, unless completed an AA/AS or bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college; GED certificate or high school equivalency diploma; or “Ability to Benefit” (take a placement test at the Student Support Center for verification)*;
    2. Official copies of all college transcripts;
    3. MMR immunization records for anyone born on or after January 1, 1957;
    4. Residency verification when requested; and
    5. College placement scores.

*Students who are admitted to college under the “Ability to Benefit” guideline are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Application and records will be held for one year after which one must re-apply and re-submit all records.

Selective program admission: FVCC has additional requirements for selective programs. To be considered for selective program admission, applications must be submitted to the Admissions and Registration Office by the appropriate deadlines. Currently, our selective programs include:

  • Brewing Science and Brewery Operations;
  • Culinary Arts;
  • Firearms Finishing;
  • Firearms Technology;
  • Paramedicine;
  • Pharmacy Technology;
  • Physical Therapist Assistant;
  • Practical Nursing;
  • Radiologic Technology;
  • Registered Nursing; and
  • Surgical Technology.

Application deadlines and requirements for admission into selective programs vary by program. Contact the Student Support Center by calling (406) 756-3880 for more information.

Placement Tests

Degree-seeking students, as well as any students planning to enroll in math, English, or classes with placement prerequisites are required to complete placement tests. Testing information can be found online and in the Student Portal. The tests are used for placement purposes only.

Advisors use placement test scores to determine accurate course placements which maximize students’ successes. Test scores guide placement in specific courses, as well as evaluate preparation for courses with significant reading demands. Scores are not kept on the students’ transcripts and do not impact grades.

Call the Student Support Center at (406) 756-3880 with questions about placement tests.

Steps to FVCC Enrollment for Home School Students and Students under the Age of 16.

An applicant under the age of 16 is required to complete the following:

  1. Contact the Registrar by calling (406) 756-3845 to petition the Admissions and Registration Office for an exception.
  2. Complete the following:
    1. Provide written permission from parents;
    2. Complete placement testing and call (406) 756-3880 to meet with a Student Support Center advisor and have scores evaluated to determine college readiness. (Subject to federal guidelines for “Ability to Benefit”);
    3. Submit a non-degree Application for Admission form and provide required immunization records; and
    4. Obtain instructor’s signature before registering for classes.
  3. The applicant should also acknowledge the following guidelines:
    1. A maximum of six credits can be taken the first term;
    2. He/she will be enrolled as “non-degree” status until he/she has reached 16 years of age and has successfully completed the GED/HiSET or high school equivalency diploma. At that point, the student can be enrolled as “degree” status;
    3. Because of federal regulations, financial aid is not available until he/she is 16 years of age; and
    4. An instructor in any course in which he/she is enrolled can recommend withdrawal if the student is not socially and/or emotionally mature enough to fully benefit or if his/her participation in the course should in any way slow the normal progress of the course.

An applicant who is 16 years of age or older or has graduated from a religious/private school not accredited by the state of Montana, is required to provide the following:

  1. Completed Application for Admission form and required immunization records;
  2. A copy of his/her GED/HiSET certificate or high school equivalency diploma or proof of completion of FVCC placement tests. Call the Student Support Center at (406) 756-3880 to schedule an appointment for test score evaluation to determine college readiness. (Subject to federal guidelines for “Ability to Benefit”); and
  3. Complete financial aid forms if applying for financial aid.

Admission of International Students

Flathead Valley Community College is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. Each international applicant is required to furnish the following in order to be considered for admission as a full-time/degree-seeking student:

  1. Completed International Student Application for Admission. There is no cost associated with this application.
  2. Proof of English Proficiency: FVCC accepts TOEFL, IELTS, EIKEN, ELS scores from accredited testing services. A minimum 61 IBT (internet-based) TOEFL test (or equivalent) are acceptable standards. Note: Canadian students are not required to submit English proficiency scores.
  3. Proof of completion of the equivalent of an American high school education.
  4. Certificate of Financial Responsibility. This financial guarantee can be either a “Declaration of Finances” or other evidence of funds necessary to cover the annual cost of attendance at FVCC (approximately $18,200), or, if sponsored by a US citizen or permanent resident, a USCIS Affidavit of Support (Form I-134).
  5. Physician-validated immunization record for two separate vaccinations for measles, mumps, rubella, and a tuberculosis skin test.
  6. Current evidence of a student accident and sickness insurance policy for each semester at FVCC must be presented before a student can start attending courses.
  7. Copy of valid passport (and, if applicable, student visa).

After an applicant has submitted all of the above items, his/her admission file will be reviewed for either acceptance or denial of admission. Upon acceptance, FVCC will issue an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for non-immigrant “F-1” or “M-1”student status, which will allow the applicant to obtain a student visa at the US Embassy of his/her home country. Depending on the applicant’s country of origin, this process may take a minimum of six weeks.

International students transferring from other US institutions should contact the FVCC Office of International Student Services directly at to obtain admission and I-20 transfer instructions.

All international students pay out-of-state tuition.

Running Start

The Running Start program provides eligible high school juniors, seniors, and those students at least 16 years of age the opportunity to get an affordable “running start” on their college education. Classes are offered at a significantly reduced cost. Students eligible for Running Start will be assessed the appropriate running start tuition until the student graduates from high school or home school or through age 19, whichever occurs first.  High school students can elect to earn only college credit while enrolled in the Running Start program.

Classes taken at the college as part of the Running Start program are limited to college-level classes numbered 100 or above.

Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher at FVCC to continue in the Running Start program. Running Start courses are the beginning of the student’s college education and will remain on the student’s college transcript.

Interested students should contact their high school counselors for information. Each participating high school determines course acceptance and credit equivalency.

For more information regarding enrollment procedures, contact Coordinator, High School Relations at (406) 756-3923 or


Montana law requires immunization records from all students born on or after January 1, 1957. Proof of two doses of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) immunizations must be provided before students can be allowed to register. To fulfill this requirement, applicants must meet the following guidelines:

  1. If high school required records of immunization are not available, records from physicians’ offices or health departments may be substituted with official signatures to verify authenticity.
  2. If no records are available, applicants are required to be immunized and submit written medical verifications signed by licensed physicians or provide notarized religious forms or medical exemption forms, or provide blood test results showing immunity.


In-District Students:

  • Include students who have lived in the college district (Flathead or Lincoln County) for one continuous year;
  • Are dependents whose parents have had permanent residence in the college district for one continuous year;
  • Own, reside and pay taxes on real property located within the college district;
  • Are dependents whose parents own, reside and pay taxes on real property located within the college district.

*In order to be declared a resident, in-district or in-state:

  • A student must be able to provide clear evidence he/she is a resident of the district and intends to remain permanently and indefinitely in the college district; and
  • Provide evidence he/she has taken all reasonable steps to establish residency (i.e. has registered automobile, has registered to vote, has obtained state driver’s license) within 60 days after moving to the state.

In-State Students:

  • Include students who have been permanent residents of Montana for one continuous year, real property taxpayers in Montana who live in the state or dependents of Montana residents who do not qualify as in-district.

Out-of-State Students:

  • Include students who are not Montana residents or who are not dependents of Montana residents;
  • Are real property taxpayers of Montana but are not Montana residents.

The above qualifications do not apply to international students.

The Board of Regents policy is followed if issues arise that are not covered by FVCC residency requirements.

For further information about admission to FVCC, visit the Admissions Office in BH 111, or call (406) 756-3851.

Change of Residence Status

An individual requesting a residency status change needs to submit a Residency Status Change Form to the Admissions and Records Office prior to registering for the upcoming semester.  Late requests for residency changes can be submitted up until the 15th class day from the start of fall and spring semesters, or the 10th class day of summer semester. Any requests made after this date will be applied to the next semester. No exceptions will be made.

For tuition and fee purposes, an individual wanting to change from in-state to in-district (Flathead or Lincoln County) status is required to provide clear evidence he/she has been a resident for one continuous year in Flathead or Lincoln County and intends to remain permanently and indefinitely in the college district.

For tuition and fee purposes, an individual wanting to change from out-of-state to in-district (Flathead or Lincoln County) status is required to:

  1. Apply for Montana driver’s license within 60 days of moving here;
  2. Provide proof of one continuous year of residency in Flathead or Lincoln County;
  3. Provide proof he/she is making Flathead or Lincoln County his/her permanent residence (a Montana driver’s license, automobile registration and voter registration); AND
  4. Remain in part-time status (six or less credits a semester) for the first year. Residency cannot be established while taking seven or more credits a semester.

For tuition and fee purposes, an individual wanting to change from out-of-state to in-state status is required to:

  1. Apply for Montana driver’s license within 60 days of moving here;
  2. Provide proof of one continuous year of residency in the state of Montana;
  3. Provide proof he/she is making Montana his/her permanent residence (a Montana driver’s license, automobile registration and voter registration); AND
  4. Remain in part-time status (six or less credits a semester) for the first year. Residency cannot be established while taking seven or more credits a semester.

Students registering for the first time should contact the Admissions Office at (406) 756-3851 for residency information.

Residency Exchange/WUE

Flathead Valley Community College participates in the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE), a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education and other western states. Through WUE, certain students not residing in Montana may enroll at FVCC in designated programs, paying in-state tuition plus 50 percent (plus other fees that are paid by all students).

Application must be made to the Admissions Office no later than two weeks before registration.  WUE participants must be degree-seeking students, maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA, and be enrolled as a full-time student.

The participating states are Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii (four-year colleges only), Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. Because FVCC participates, residents of Montana may enroll under the same terms in designated institutions and programs in other participating states.

Students attending under the WUE classification are not allowed to calculate the time as a WUE student toward in-district or in-state residency. 

Information about WUE programs may be obtained from the Admissions and Registration Office at (406) 756-3846.

Montana residents may obtain information about WUE programs in other states from The Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education, 2500 Broadway, Helena, MT 59620, (406) 444-6570; or from WICHE Student Exchange Program, P.O. Drawer P, Boulder, CO 80301-9752, (303) 497-0210.


How to Register

To register for classes, a student is required to

  1. Have a complete admissions file. If it has been two or more years since a student last attended FVCC, he or she will need to complete a Re-Admit Application, available at;
  2. Review placement requirements in the Student Portal, under Admissions Status, Placements and, if necessary, enroll in the online Reading & Writing Placement;
  3. Review the semester course schedule online at; and
  4. New degree-seeking students will meet with a Student Support Center advisor, while returning students will meet with their assigned advisor in order to register. Login to the Student Portal to obtain the name of the assigned advisor. The advisor is listed on the homepage. To schedule an appointment with a Student Support Center advisor call (406) 756-3880. 

The Registrar is required to approve course loads over 18 credits.

Non-degree students can register by mail, fax at (406) 756-3965 or online at Registrations are required to be accompanied by check, money order, VISA, Master Card, Discover, American Express or online at for payment of tuition and fees.

Students are required to make arrangements for payment of tuition and fees.  See the academic calendar for specific dates and deadlines.

Up to three-fourths of tuition and fees may be deferred. Account balances are required to be paid before the end of the semester. Students with unpaid account balances will not receive grades, transcripts, diplomas or other academic documents until the account balances are paid. Visit the Business Services Office in BH 132, or call (406) 756- 3831 for additional information.

A student who registers or adds classes after the third week of the semester is charged a $40 late registration fee. For short or late starting classes, a late fee will be charged to a student who registers for the class after it has begun.

Student ID cards can be obtained from the Business Services Office. Dates and times of student ID photo shoots are posted on campus bulletin boards at the beginning of each semester.


Registration dates vary by semester. See the academic calendar  for specific dates and deadlines.

All registrations should be completed by the first day of the semester. Schedule changes will be accepted through the second week, but permission from the instructor will be required to register for classes after the first week of the semester. New semester registrations will not be accepted after the first week of the semester for full-semester classes. Refer to the academic calendar  for specific registration dates and deadlines.

Online Registration

Online Registration is available at via the student portal. Student access is limited. Students should stop by the Admissions Office or call (406) 756-3848 for assistance in registering online. See the academic calendar  for specific dates and deadlines.

Registration Hold

Students who have not submitted required documents, failed to complete a required training including but not limited to sexual assault prevention, or have an outstanding balance, etc. will receive a registration hold which will prevent the student from registering from the current and/or future semesters until the issue has been resolved.


All new degree-seeking students are required to complete Haven (or Haven Plus), a sexual assault prevention course.  Additionally, all new degree-seeking students 21 years of age or younger are required to complete AlcoholEdu, an alcohol abuse prevention course prior to registering for future classes. All students 22 years of age or older are welcome and encouraged, but not required, to complete AlcoholEdu.  Additionally, all students are welcome to complete Transit, a financial literacy program. 

Change of Class Schedule

A student who decides to change his/her class schedule:

  1. During the first week of classes, can make course changes through the Student Portal.
  2. After the first week of classes, will require a schedule change form from the Registration Office. The completed form must be turned in to the Registration Office by the posted deadlines for the schedule change to occur.

Refunds for dropped courses are determined by the refund schedule . Added classes will be charged full tuition and fees.

A student who receives financial aid or veterans’ benefits is required to have the Financial Aid Director and/or Veterans’ Certifying Official sign the schedule change form.

NOTE: Classes may only be added during the first two weeks of the semester with the exception of late starting classes.

The last day to drop a class is indicated on the academic calendar . A student who wishes to drop a class without the class appearing on his/her transcript is required to drop the class during the first three weeks of the semester. (The above information applies to classes that meet the full length of the semester for fall and spring.) Failure to attend class DOES NOT constitute withdrawal.

In order to prevent summer semester classes and short- or late-starting classes from appearing on a student’s transcript, he/she is required to drop the class during its refund period. (See refund schedule .)

No refunds will be granted for classes that meet the full length of the semester dropped after the second week of the semester. (See refund schedule .)

Change of Major

Currently enrolled students who wish to change their major must submit their change through the Student Portal within 30 business days of the start of the semester.  After this date, the major change will be posted for the next semester.

Cancellation of Courses

FVCC reserves the right to cancel any course through the first week of the class due to low enrollment.

Changes in Student Records

Effective fall semester 2017, the maximum time frame to petition a revision/change to student transcripts or records is within one year of the semester in question. For name changes, the student must provide official documentation, such as court documents, updated social security card or valid driver’s license.

Eagle Mail

A College assigned student email account, named Eagle Mail, shall be the College’s official means of communication with all Flathead Valley Community College students. The College reserves the right to send official communications to students by email with the full expectation that students receive and read emails in a timely fashion. Email may not be used for unlawful activities.

Students are expected to check their FVCC Eagle Mail account frequently and consistently to stay current with College-related communications. Students must ensure sufficient space in accounts to allow for email delivery. Students are required to recognize certain communications as time-critical. Students will not be held responsible for an interruption in the ability to access a message if system malfunctions or other system-related problems prevent timely delivery of, or access to, said message (e.g., power outages or email system viruses).

Faculty may assume a student’s official College email is a valid mechanism for communicating with a student. Students who “forward” the FVCC student email account to a private (unofficial) email address outside the official College network address do so at their own risk. The College is not responsible or liable for any difficulties that may occur in the proper or timely transmission or access of email forwarded to any unofficial email address. Any such problems will not absolve students of the responsibility to know and comply with the content of official communications sent to official FVCC student email addresses.

Use of a private account requires students to keep the account active and available to receive messages. Students who choose to forward FVCC email to a different account are responsible to ensure receipt of official College communications forwarded to the personal account.  FVCC is not responsible nor will be held liable for lost or deleted email due to account closures or storage restrictions.

For questions concerning Eagle Mail, please contact the MIS Help Desk at (406)756-3930.