Dec 19, 2018  
2015-2016 Academic Catalog 
2015-2016 Academic Catalog Archived Catalog

Student Services and Activities


Blake Hall, Room 111, (406) 756-3366

Flathead Valley Community College has an “open door” policy for those who are 16 years or older. FVCC does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, religion, creed, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, gender or sexual orientation in the education programs and activities which it operates. FVCC encourages individuals to seek admission into the college if they feel their educational needs will be met by the programs and services offered by the college. The admissions process is based on self-selection, and students may apply at any time throughout the year.

Admission to a degree/certificate program shall be open to anyone who has earned a high school diploma from an accredited high school or received a high school equivalency diploma. Exceptions may be made for students enrolled in Running Start/Dual Enrollment programs. Exceptions will be approved by the Director of Admissions/Registrar.

It’s Easy to Enroll! Apply Early

Application Deadline: One week prior to the start of the semester.
The admission file, complete with all records listed below, must be provided to the Admissions Office by one week prior to the start of the semester.

For non-degree students, a complete admission file consists of the following:

  • A completed Application for Admission form;
  • Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) immunization records for anyone born on or after January 1, 1957 if taking six (6) or more credits a semester; and
  • Residency verification when required.

For degree students, a complete admission file includes:

  • A completed Application for Admission form.
  • After application for admission has been submitted, the following records must be provided:
    1. Official high school transcript, unless completed an AA/AS or bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college; GED certificate or high school equivalency diploma; or “Ability to Benefit” (take a placement test at the Learning Center for verification)*;
    2. Official copies of all college transcripts or a high school equivalency diploma;
    3. College placement scores;
    4. MMR immunization records for anyone born on or after January 1, 1957; and
    5. Residency verification when required.

*Students who are admitted to college under the “Ability to Benefit” guideline are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Application and records will be held for one year after which one must re-apply and re-submit all records.

Selective program admission: FVCC has additional requirements for selective programs. To be considered for selective program admission, applications must be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office by the appropriate deadlines. Currently, our selective programs include:

  • Culinary Arts;
  • Medical Assistant;
  • Paramedicine;
  • Physical Therapist Assistant;
  • Practical Nursing;
  • Radiologic Technology;
  • Registered Nursing;
  • Surgical Technology; and
  • Surveying

Application deadlines and requirements for admission into selective programs vary by program. Contact the Admissions and Records Office by calling (406) 756-3846 for more information.

Steps to FVCC Enrollment for Home School Students and Students under the Age of 16.

An applicant under the age of 16 is required to complete the following:

  1. Contact the Director of Admissions/Registrar by calling (406) 756-3846 to petition the Admissions and Records Office for an exception.
  2. Complete the following:
    1. Provide written permission from parents;
    2. Complete the COMPASS placement test and call (406) 756-3880 to meet with a college counselor and have scores evaluated to determine college readiness. (Subject to federal guidelines for “Ability to Benefit”);
    3. Submit a non-degree Application for Admission form and provide required immunization records; and
    4. Obtain instructor’s signature before registering for classes.
  3. The applicant should also acknowledge the following guidelines:
    1. A maximum of six credits can be taken the first term;
    2. He/she will be enrolled as “non-degree” status until he/she has reached 16 years of age and has successfully completed the GED or high school equivalency diploma. At that point, the student can be enrolled as “degree” status;
    3. Because of federal regulations, financial aid is not available until he/she is 16 years of age; and
    4. An instructor in any course in which he/she is enrolled can recommend withdrawal if the student is not socially and/or emotionally mature enough to fully benefit or if his/her participation in the course should in any way slow the normal progress of the course.

An applicant who is 16 years of age or older or has graduated from a religious/private school not accredited by the state of Montana, is required to provide the following:

  1. Completed Application for Admission form and required immunization records;
  2. A copy of his/her GED certificate or high school equivalency diploma or proof of completion of the COMPASS placement test. Call the college counselor at (406) 756-3880 to schedule an appointment for test score evaluation to determine college readiness. (Subject to federal guidelines for “Ability to Benefit”); and
  3. Complete financial aid forms if applying for financial aid.

Admission of International Students

Flathead Valley Community College is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. The college is not prepared to teach English to international non-English speaking students; therefore, each international applicant is required to furnish the following documents in order to be considered for admission as a full-time/degree-seeking student:

  1. A completed Application for Admission form;
  2. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores from an accredited testing service. A minimum score of 500 for the paper-based test, minimum score of 173 for the computer-based test or a minimum score of 61 for the internet-based test is the acceptable standard. More information about TOEFL may be obtained from the Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ 08540. FVCC is a TOEFL test center;
  3. Proof of completion of the equivalent of an American high school education with satisfactory grades;
  4. “Declaration of Finances” or other evidence of funds necessary to pay all living expenses and travel to and from Flathead Valley Community College (approximately $18,200) or the signature of a United States citizen who will sign as a sponsor and benefactor;
  5. A physician-validated immunization record for measles, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus and skin testing for tuberculosis. This evidence must be presented before a student is permitted to register; and
  6. Evidence of a student accident and sickness insurance policy or one of equal coverage for each semester in attendance at FVCC.

After an applicant has completed all of the above items and returned the required forms, his/her admission file will be reviewed for either acceptance or denial of admission. Upon acceptance, FVCC will issue an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for non-immigrant “F-1” student status, which will allow the applicant to obtain a student visa.

All international students pay out-of-state tuition.

Running Start

The Running Start program provides eligible high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to get an affordable “running start” on their college education. Classes are offered at a significantly reduced cost. FVCC has teamed up with high schools in Flathead and Lincoln Counties to offer students the option to earn high school and college credits simultaneously through dual credit courses. High school students can elect to earn only college credit while enrolled in the Running Start program.

Classes taken at the college as part of the Running Start program are limited to college-level classes numbered 100 or above.

Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher at FVCC to continue in the Running Start program. Running Start courses are the beginning of the student’s college education and will remain on the student’s college transcript.

Interested students should contact their high school counselors for information. Each participating high school determines course acceptance and credit equivalency.

For more information regarding enrollment procedures, contact Elizabeth Romain at (406) 756-3923 or


Montana law requires immunization records from all students born on or after January 1, 1957. Proof of two doses of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) immunizations must be provided before students can be allowed to register. To fulfill this requirement, applicants must meet the following guidelines:

  1. If high school required records of immunization are not available, records from physicians’ offices or health departments may be substituted with official signatures to verify authenticity.
  2. If no records are available, applicants are required to be immunized and submit written medical verifications signed by licensed physicians or provide notorized religious forms or medical exemption forms, or provide blood test results showing immunity.


In-District Students:

  • Include students who have lived in the college district (Flathead or Lincoln County) for one continuous year;
  • Are dependents whose parents have had permanent residence in the college district for one continuous year;
  • Own, reside and pay taxes on real property located within the college district;
  • Are dependents whose parents own, reside and pay taxes on real property located within the college district.

*In order to be declared a resident, in-district or in-state:

  • A student must be able to provide clear evidence he/she is a resident of the district and intends to remain permanently and indefinitely in the college district; and
  • Provide evidence he/she has taken all reasonable steps to establish residency (i.e. has registered automobile, has registered to vote, has obtained state driver’s license) within 60 days after moving to the state.

In-State Students:

  • Include students who have been permanent residents of Montana for one continuous year, real property taxpayers in Montana who live in the state or dependents of Montana residents who do not qualify as in-district.

Out-of-State Students:

  • Include students who are not Montana residents or who are not dependents of Montana residents;
  • Are real property taxpayers of Montana but are not Montana residents.

The above qualifications do not apply to international students.

The Board of Regents policy is followed if issues arise that are not covered by FVCC residency requirements.

For further information about admission to FVCC, visit the Admissions and Records Office in BH 111, or call (406) 756-3846.

Change of Residence Status

An individual wanting to change residency status is required to change status prior to registering for the upcoming semester. No exceptions will be made.

For tuition and fee purposes, an individual wanting to change from in-state to in-district (Flathead or Lincoln County) status is required to provide clear evidence he/she has been a resident for one continuous year in Flathead or Lincoln County and intends to remain permanently and indefinitely in the college district.

For tuition and fee purposes, an individual wanting to change from out-of-state to in-district (Flathead or Lincoln County) status is required to:

  1. Apply for Montana driver’s license within 60 days of moving here;
  2. Provide proof of one continuous year of residency in Flathead or Lincoln County;
  3. Provide proof he/she is making Flathead or Lincoln County his/her permanent residence (a Montana driver’s license, automobile registration and voter registration); AND
  4. Remain in part-time status (six or less credits a semester) for the first year. Residency cannot be established while taking seven or more credits a semester.

For tuition and fee purposes, an individual wanting to change from out-of-state to in-state status is required to:

  1. Apply for Montana driver’s license within 60 days of moving here;
  2. Provide proof of one continuous year of residency in the state of Montana;
  3. Provide proof he/she is making Montana his/her permanent residence (a Montana driver’s license, automobile registration and voter registration); AND
  4. Remain in part-time status (six or less credits a semester) for the first year. Residency cannot be established while taking seven or more credits a semester.

Students registering for the first time should contact the Admissions and Records Office at (406) 756-3846 for residency information.

Residency Exchange/WUE

Flathead Valley Community College participates in the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE), a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education and other western states. Through WUE, certain students not residing in Montana may enroll at FVCC in designated programs, paying in-state tuition plus 50 percent (plus other fees that are paid by all students).

Application must be made to the Admissions and Records Office no later than two weeks before registration.

The participating states are Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii (four-year colleges only), Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. Because FVCC participates, residents of Montana may enroll under the same terms in designated institutions and programs in other participating states.

Students attending under the WUE classification are not allowed to calculate the time as a WUE student toward in-district or in-state residency. 

Information about WUE programs may be obtained from the Admissions and Records Office at (406) 756-3846.

Montana residents may obtain information about WUE programs in other states from The Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education, 2500 Broadway, Helena, MT 59620, (406) 444-6570; or from WICHE Student Exchange Program, P.O. Drawer P, Boulder, CO 80301-9752, (303) 497-0210.

Placement Tests

Learning Resource Center, Room LRC 129, (406) 756-3880

Degree-seeking and/or full-time students who plan to take math or English classes are required to complete the COMPASS placement test. Testing is scheduled by appointment in the Learning Center. The test is used for placement purposes only.

Advisors use the COMPASS test scores to determine accurate course placements which maximize students’ successes. Test scores guide placement in specific English and math courses as well as evaluating preparation for courses with significant demands in the area of reading. Scores are not kept on the students’ permanent transcripts and do not affect grades.

Call the Learning Resource Center at (406) 756-3880 to schedule an appointment. Allow 2-3 hours for testing.


Sharon Nau, Associate Registrar/Systems Analyst,
Blake Hall, Room 115, (406) 756-3845 -

How to Register

To register for classes, a student is required to complete the following process:

  1. Complete an Application for Admission form and return it to the Admissions and Records Office or apply online at (This should be done only when the student initially enrolls);
  2. Complete COMPASS placement testing;
  3. Review the semester course schedule online at; and
  4. New students will meet with a Learning Center advisor, while returning students will meet with their assigned advisor to register online or sign a registration form. To obtain the name of the assigned advisor, contact the Admissions and Records Office at (406) 756-3846.

The Director of Admissions/Registrar or the Associate Registrar is required to approve course loads over 18 credits.

Non-degree students can register by mail, fax at (406) 756-3965 or online at Registrations are required to be accompanied by check, money order, VISA, Master Card, Discover, American Express or online at for payment of tuition and fees.

Students registering during general registration are required to make arrangements for payment of tuition and fees on the day they register. At least one-fourth of tuition and fees is due at registration for fall and spring semesters.

Up to three-fourths of tuition and fees may be deferred. Account balances are required to be paid before the end of the semester. Students with unpaid account balances will not receive grades, transcripts, diplomas or other academic documents until the account balances are paid. Visit the Business Services Office in BH 132, or call (406) 756- 3831 for additional information.

A student who registers or adds classes after the third week of the semester is charged a $40 late registration fee. For short or late starting classes, a late fee will be charged to a student who registers for the class after it has ended.

Student ID cards can be obtained from the Business Services Office. Dates and times of student ID photo shoots are posted on campus bulletin boards at the beginning of each semester.

Early Registration

Early registration dates vary by semester. See the academic calendar  for specific dates and deadlines.

General Registration

All registrations should be completed by the first day of the semester. Schedule changes will be accepted through the second week, but permission from the instructor will be required to register for classes after the first week of the semester. New semester registrations will not be accepted after the first week of the semester for full-semester classes. Refer to the academic calendar  for specific registration dates and deadlines.

Online Registration

Online Registration is available at via the student portal from early registration through general registration. Student access is limited. Students should stop by the Admissions and Records Office or call (406) 756-3845 for assistance in registering online. See the academic calendar  for specific dates and deadlines.

Registration Hold

Students who have not submitted required documents, failed to complete a required training including but not limited to New Student Orientation and sexual violence prevention, or have an outstanding balance, etc. will receive a registration hold which will prevent the student from registering from the current and/or future semesters until the issue has been resolved.

Change of Class Schedule

Adding or dropping classes requires advisor consultation. A student who decides to change his/her class schedule should complete the following process:

  1. Obtain a schedule change form from the Registration Office;
  2. With the help of the assigned advisor, complete the schedule change form and ask the advisor to sign it;
  3. Secure signatures from financial aid and all instructors of added or dropped classes after the first week of classes; and
  4. Return the completed form to the Registration Office.

Refunds for dropped courses are determined by the refund schedule . Added classes will be charged full tuition and fees.

A student who receives financial aid or veterans’ benefits is required to have the Financial Aid Director and/or Veterans’ Certifying Official sign the schedule change form.

NOTE: Classes may only be added during the first two weeks of the semester with the exception of late starting classes.

The last day to drop a class is indicated on the academic calendar  . A student who wishes to drop a class without the class appearing on his/her transcript is required to drop the class during the first three weeks of the semester. (The above information applies to classes that meet the full semester for fall and spring.) Failure to attend class DOES NOT constitute withdrawal.

In order to prevent summer semester short, or late starting classes from appearing on a student’s transcript he/she is required to drop the class during its refund period. (See refund schedule .)

No refunds will be granted for semester classes dropped after the second week of the semester. Refer to the refund schedule .

Cancelled Classes

If a student is enrolled in a class that is cancelled, all tuition and fees automatically will be refunded to him/her by mail.

Changes in Student Records

The maximum time frame to petition a revision/change to student transcripts or records is within two years of the semester in question. For name changes, the student must provide official documentation, such as court documents, updated social security card or driver’s license.

Eagle Mail

A College assigned student email account, named Eagle Mail, shall be the College’s official means of communication with all Flathead Valley Community College students. The College reserves the right to send official communications to students by email with the full expectation that students receive and read emails in a timely fashion. Email may not be used for unlawful activities.

Students are expected to check their FVCC Eagle Mail account frequently and consistently to stay current with College-related communications. Students must ensure sufficient space in accounts to allow for email delivery. Students are required to recognize certain communications as time-critical. Students will not be held responsible for an interruption in the ability to access a message if system malfunctions or other system-related problems prevent timely delivery of, or access to, said message (e.g., power outages or email system viruses).

Faculty may assume a student’s official College email is a valid mechanism for communicating with a student. Students who “forward” the FVCC student email account to a private (unofficial) email address outside the official College network address do so at their own risk. The College is not responsible or liable for any difficulties that may occur in the proper or timely transmission or access of email forwarded to any unofficial email address. Any such problems will not absolve students of the responsibility to know and comply with the content of official communications sent to official FVCC student email addresses.

Use of a private account requires students to keep the account active and available to receive messages. Students who choose to forward FVCC email to a different account are responsible to ensure receipt of official College communications forwarded to the personal account.  FVCC is not responsible nor will be held liable for lost or deleted email due to account closures or storage restrictions.

Tuition and Fees

Chuck Jensen, Vice President of Administration and Finance,
Business Services Office, Blake Hall, Room 128,
(406) 756-3808 -

Semester Tuition and Fee Schedule

The Tuition and Mandatory Fee Schedules are available at, via the quick link “Tuition and Fees” at the bottom of the homepage. Tuition and Mandatory Fees vary based on the student’s residency status. See here  for explanation of residency.

Approximate Semester Costs are shown below (for a full-time, in-district student with 14 to 18 credits):

Category Average Cost
Tuition $1437
Mandatory Fees $547
Course/Lab Fees $130
Books/Supplies $600
TOTAL (approximate) $2640

Category Descriptions:

  • Tuition is a set dollar amount per credit.
  • Mandatory Fees include activity fee, building fee, equipment fee, grounds and maintenance fee, student health fee, and the technology fee. Details on these fees are shown below.
  • Course/Lab Fees vary by course. These fees are for consumables such as materials, supplies, or access to software. Examples might be clay for ceramics, an access code to MyLabs for math, or chemicals in chemistry.
  • Books/Supplies include items the student purchases outside of class such as required textbooks, notebooks, paper, or calculators.

Mandatory Fees

These are fees applicable to all students. See current Tuition and Fee Schedule at, search “tuition and fees”, for current fee amounts.

Activity Fee

A per credit activity fee is administered by Student Government to support programs, services and activities for FVCC students.

Building Fee

A per credit building fee is assessed to maintain and improve existing facilities, to construct facilities and to purchase new land or buildings.

Equipment Fee

A per credit equipment fee is assessed to assist FVCC in maintaining and updating instructional equipment.

Grounds and Maintenance Fee

A per credit grounds and maintenance fee is assessed for the purpose of maintaining and improving the campus grounds and existing parking and to construct new parking areas.

Student Health Fee

A flat fee is assessed to maintain and operate the Student Health Clinic for students enrolled in seven or more credits at the Kalispell campus. Fully online, Lincoln County Campus, and students registered for 4-6 credits may contact Business Services to opt in for access to the Student Health Clinic.

Technology Fee

A per credit technology fee is assessed to off-set the cost of purchasing or leasing computer equipment, software, maintenance or related items which benefit instructional programs.

Other Fees

These fees are applicable in specific circumstances, for example as related to a specific course or form of payment. See current Tuition and Fee Schedule at, search “tuition and fees,” for current fee amounts.

Calculator Fee

Calculators may be rented for a specific period of time from the Media Center and are paid for at the Bookstore.

Late Fee

An overdue fee of $10 per day will be assessed to the students account if not returned by the due date. A hold will be placed on the borrower’s college account and grades and transcripts from FVCC will not be accessible until the balance has been paid.

Replacement Fee

A fee of $100 is added to the student’s account if the calculator is lost or damaged.

Distance Learning Fee


Fully online courses using the Desire2Learn platform are charged an additional $45 for a one-credit class or $30 per credit for classes that are two credits or more.


Students receiving a course delivered via interactive television (ITV) are charged an additional fee of $30 per credit.

Distance Learning fees are refundable per the college’s refund policy.

Transcript Fee

Transcripts are free, but please allow 5-10 business days to process each request (written and signed by the student). Rush and fax requests are $15 per transcript and will be processed within 1-2 business days. Transcripts are not issued until all accounts with the College are in good standing. Current students may print an unofficial transcript through the student portal at

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment Overview

All accounts are due in full at the time of registration. The Business Services Office accepts cash, personal checks, money orders, Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express. Payments can also be made online at via the student portal.

Deferred Payment

In the event the account is not paid in full at the time of registration, a deferred payment plan is established for all student accounts, unless these accounts are already covered in full by awarded financial aid, a third-party authorization, and/or scholarships.

For fall and spring semesters, a fourth of the total tuition and fees is required prior to the start of the semester. The remaining balance is payable in three monthly installments.

For summer semester, a third of the total tuition is required prior to the start of the semester. The remaining balance is payable in two monthly installments.

For Interim, short, or specifically designated classes, half of the total tuition is required prior to the start of the class and the remainder must be paid before the end of the class.

Applications for the Deferred Payment Plan are available online at or from the Business Services Office.


  • In case of default or delinquency in the repayment of all or any part of a scheduled installment, a late charge of $25 shall be assessed against each late installment.
  • Grades and/or transcripts will not be released to students who have hold flags like unpaid library fines or outstanding balances owed the college.
  • Registration for subsequent semesters is blocked for students with unpaid balances.
  • Non-payment of tuition and fees may result in turning the account over for collections to the Montana Department of Revenue. Collection costs will be added to the balance.

Release of Information

The Business Services Office will not release a student’s account information without written permission of the student, including Running Start students, according to the FERPA regulations. Students may complete an Information Release Form at the Business Services Office which will permit the Business Services Office to discuss payment arrangements with parents, spouses, or others designated by the student.

It is assumed if a student has an authorization for payment from a third party (a contractual agreement) that the Business Services Office can discuss the student’s account with the payer.

Discounts and Waivers

Running Start

Classes taken as part of the Running Start program are offered at a reduced tuition. See search “Running Start tuition.” Fees, payment policies and refund policies apply as stated for all students.

Senior Citizen Discount

The senior citizen discount is available to Flathead and Lincoln County in-district residents 65 years of age and older.

Tax Reporting

1098T Forms - FVCC will send a 1098T form to all students completing credits during the calendar year. A billing statement for the entire year will be provided upon request.

Tax Relief

There may be additional tax relief available. Please consult your tax advisor for details.

Refund of Tuition and Per Credit Fees

Refunds of tuition and fees are made according to the following guidelines:

  • Tuition and fees are refunded according to the refund policy detailed online at, search “Refund Policy.”
  • Students must officially withdraw from their courses at the Admissions and Records Office located in Blake Hall.
  • Failure to attend courses DOES NOT drop or withdraw a student from those courses.
  • When a student whose tuition and fees are paid under a third party contractual agreement withdraws, he/she is required to make full payment on the balance owed.
  • Refunds are calculated from the date of official withdrawal, not from the date the student stopped attending classes.
  • The college processes tuition and fee refunds after the third week of the semester.
  • Refunds are mailed to the student’s address on file with the Business Services Office.
  • All existing debts such as library charges, calculator replacement, and deferred payment plan balance, may be deducted from any refund due to the student.
  • Questions regarding refunds should be directed to the Business Services Office in BH 132 or call (406) 756-3831.

Refund Schedule

The refund schedule presumes the account is paid in full at the time of registration. It is based on the total amount owed the college, not the amount paid. The refund schedule is date specific.

Refunds are calculated from the day the Schedule Change form is received in the Registration Office. Students who do not officially withdraw owe full tuition and fees and may receive an “F” for the course. The length of a course determines which refund schedule applies when a student drops a course.

9 to 16-week courses: Refund of Tuition and Fees:
Courses that last at least 63 calendar days
  1st week of semester 100%
  2nd week of semester 50%
  After 2nd week of semester No Refund
Classes beginning before or after the 1st week of the semester:
  1st week of class 100%
  2nd week of class 50%
  After second week of class No Refund
Short courses up to 8 weeks:  
Courses that last fewer than 63 calendar days
  1st business day following 1st class 100%
  After 1st business day following 1st class No Refund

Note: Students may withdraw from courses until the 75% point of the course.

In order to prevent a full semester course from appearing on a student’s transcript, the course must be dropped by the end of the third week of the fall or spring semester. For summer semester, short or late-starting courses, the course must be dropped by the end of its refund period.

Financial Aid students should refer to the withdrawal policy in the Financial Aid section of the catalog.


Inadequate knowledge regarding the refund policy is not considered sufficient cause for student appeal.

Failure to attend DOES NOT withdraw a student from their courses, nor does it excuse them from their financial obligations to Flathead Valley Community College.

Students wishing to appeal the refund policy may do so before the end of the term by submitting a written appeal explaining their particular circumstances to the college’s Vice President of Administration and Finance.

Students with Third-Party Sponsors should meet with their sponsor prior to making changes to their schedules. Sponsorship payment of tuition and fees may be withheld making the student responsible for payment to the college.

Financial Responsibility

Financial Liability

Unless a student officially withdraws from classes before the start of the semester, the student remains responsible for the balance owing on the account. The non-attendance of classes does not release the student from the obligations for the debt.

Students receiving financial aid may be liable for a repayment of funds to the college. They should consult with the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing.

Students receiving payment from an employer or job retraining program are responsible for the remaining balance of the account if they withdraw before fulfilling those contractual agreements. Students should check with their sponsor before withdrawing.

Financial Obligations

Students who owe FVCC money cannot register for the succeeding semester, secure transcripts, records, grades, diplomas or degrees until the obligations are paid or satisfactorily adjusted through the Business Services Office.

Late Payment Fee

In case of default or delinquency in the repayment of all or any part of a scheduled installment, a late charge of $25 shall be assessed against each late installment.

Late Registration Fee

A $40 late registration fee is charged to each student registering or adding classes after the third week of the semester. For short and late starting classes, the fee will be charged if registering after the class has ended.

NSF Check

A fee is charged for each non-sufficient fund check written to the college. All NSF checks are turned over to the Flathead County Attorney for the cost of the check plus the additional fee assessed by the county. Holds are placed on student accounts for NSF checks, and the student cannot register or receive transcripts until this debt is satisfied at the Flathead County Attorney’s office.

Financial Aid

Cindy Kiefer, Director, Financial Aid, Blake Hall, Room 113,
(406) 756-3843 -

Federal and State Aid

Flathead Valley Community College administers a variety of government financial assistance programs for degree-seeking students who can provide evidence of financial need. Students are required to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to determine eligibility.

Federal Pell Grant

The value of this grant varies from year to year depending on the appropriations from Congress. The projected maximum annual award is $5,775 for two semesters of full-time attendance. Full and part-time students are eligible. A student’s particular dollar amount depends on the student’s expected family contribution (EFC) from the FAFSA and enrollment status term by term during the year.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This grant is awarded to students with the lowest EFCs who are also eligible for the Pell Grant. Full and part-time students are eligible. Annual awards range from $200 to $500.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG)

For students who are not Pell-eligible; who’s parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001; and who, at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death, were less than 24 years old or were enrolled at least part-time at an institution of higher education. Maximum is same as Pell maximum; payment adjusted for less-than-full-time study.

Montana Higher Education Grant (MHEG)

This grant is awarded to full-and/or part-time students with Montana residency and high financial need. Annual awards range from $200 to $500.

Montana Baker Grant

This grant is awarded to full-time students with Montana residency. Annual awards range from $100 to $1,000.

Work Study

Through part-time employment on campus, students who show financial need may earn a portion of their educational expenses. Ten to fifteen hours per week is the recommended work load. Students are paid a competitive wage and may gain experience in their career field. Paychecks are mailed on the 15th of the month following the month the hours were worked.

Direct Stafford Loans

Eligible students registered in six or more credits may borrow up to $5,500/$6,500 per year. Additional eligibility may exist for an independent student. New interest rates go into effect on July 1 of each year and the rate is set by Congress annually. Please check out our website at for the current rates or contact the financial aid office. Repayment of principal and interest begins six months after the student is no longer enrolled or drops below half-time attendance (six credits).

Direct Plus Loans

Eligible parents may borrow for their dependent undergraduate student(s) enrolled at least half-time. New interest rates go into effect on July 1 of each year and the rate is set by Congress annually. Please check out our website at for the current rates or contact the Financial Aid Office.

In addition to the above programs, FVCC also works with Third- Party Sponsors who provide payment. These include Job Service, Community Action Partnership of Northwest Montana, Vocational Rehabilitation, Worker’s Comp, Head Start, various employers, and others. All sponsorship authorizations must be sent to the Financial Aid Office. Authorization letters must be received prior to General Registration.


  • A student must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • A male student must be registered with Selective Service.
  • A student must have a high school diploma or GED.
  • A student may receive federal or state financial assistance only if he/she does not owe a repayment on federal financial aid previously awarded and is not in default on any federal loan previously received.
  • A student must be enrolled in a program leading toward a degree or certificate offered by FVCC.
  • A student must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP):
    1. A student must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average in previous coursework at FVCC and have successfully completed 67% of his/her attempted hours at FVCC.
    2. Degree requirements must be completed within a specific time frame. The maximum time frame for a program of study at FVCC is 150% of the program requirements (i.e. an AS degree requires 60 credits for graduation so maximum time frame would be 90 attempted credits). Hours earned at FVCC, as well as hours transferred and accepted by FVCC, are considered in this maximum time frame.
    3. For more detailed SAP information, please see our website at

How to Apply

  • Complete the FVCC admission process for a degree or certificate program; and
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at This application can take three to four weeks to process, so early application is encouraged.

Students who submit their FAFSA by March 1 and provide all requested information within two weeks will be given first priority for Work Study funds, MHEG, MT Baker, and FSEOG as funding permits.

When To Apply

Students must apply for financial aid each academic year. Applications are available after January 1 for the following fall and should be submitted as soon as income tax return information from the previous year has been compiled by the students and/or their parents. Applications are processed in the order received, according to students’ needs and available funds. Students are notified of their awards beginning in May.

Changes in Enrollment Status

Financial aid will be awarded based on the student’s FAFSA application. Enrollment verification will be completed after the 15th class day and financial aid awards will be adjusted based on the student’s current registration at that point in time. Any changes to enrollment after that date will not affect the value of a student’s award package, unless a student drops or adds a course that has not started, or withdraws from all courses for that term.

Students who are withdrawing from classes after the 15th class day should review the eligibility section of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements to ensure they are maintaining the required academic standards.

Financial Aid Refunds

If students are receiving more financial aid than their direct institutional costs, they will receive a refund check from the college. These checks will be issued about a month into the semester.

In some circumstances, students who are registered in late starting classes may have their refund check reduced or held until they are in attendance in the late starting courses and have passed the refund period for those courses.

Withdrawal/Return of Title IV Funds

Financial aid recipients of Pell Grant, FSEOG, IASG, Stafford or Plus Loan funds are advised to first meet with the Director of Financial Aid before completely withdrawing from all classes for the semester. The Director will explain the consequences of a withdrawal, as well as the financial implications of this action.

If a student officially or unofficially withdraws (stops attending classes) before the 60% point of the semester, federal regulations require that the school complete the Return of Title IV Funds calculation.

The student’s withdrawal date, in calendar days, is used to determine the percentage of the semester that the student completed. This percentage is used to determine the “earned” aid that a student is eligible to retain. The student will be responsible for any “unearned” aid that MUST be returned. Examples of this calculation can be provided by the Financial Aid Office.

The student’s withdrawal date is either the date they began the withdrawal process or last day they attended classes. For a student who didn’t officially withdraw, the withdrawal date is the last date of attendance as reported by the instructor or the 50% point in the semester.


Flathead Valley Community College offers numerous need-based and merit-based institutional and privately funded scholarships. To qualify for need-based scholarships, students must have applied for financial aid by completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) application at and demonstrate financial need. Merit-based scholarships are based on grade point average, academic standing, program of study, or activities.

Applications and the detailed scholarship brochure listing all the available scholarships are available at the FVCC Financial Aid Office and the LCC Student Services Office. This information can also be found online at Scholarship deadlines exist throughout the calendar year; however, for priority consideration apply by March 15 for the following academic year. The award process and regulations are subject to change. In addition, outside scholarship opportunities are published in The Privy Press as they become available.

Veterans Benefits

Sherry Taylor, Veterans Certifying Official,
LRC 111,  (406) 756-3982 -

The Veterans Affairs Office assists veterans in enrolling at FVCC, applying for their educational benefits, contacting the Veterans Administration when benefits payments are delayed, securing tutorial assistance and arranging transfer to other institutions so that payment of educational benefits will not be unnecessarily interrupted.

How to Apply

Applications for veterans educational benefits should be initiated through the Veterans Affairs Office in the LRC building or by calling (406) 756-3892. Veterans should be prepared to provide a certified copy of their DD-214 and/or DD Form 2384 (notice of basic eligibility) along with some personal history. To receive advance payment, students are required to have a complete admissions file and to contact the school certifying official at FVCC at least 90 days in advance of the semester for which they plan to register.


  • All degree and certificate programs offered at FVCC are approved for benefits under the current GI Bills.
  • Widows and children of veterans who died of service-connected disabilities or who have total and permanent service-connected disabilities may be eligible for Chapter 35 educational benefits.
  • The Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty Educational Assistance Program, Chapter 30 - may provide benefits for individuals who first entered on active duty after July 1, 1985.
  • The Montgomery GI Bill, Chapter 1606 - Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program (including National Guard) provides benefits for individuals who enlist, extend or reenlist for at least six years after July 1, 1985. Those individuals are required to have completed an initial active duty for training.
  • The Ronald Reagan National Defense Authorization Act established Chapter 1607 - Department of Defense Educational Program to provide educational assistance to members of the reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operations) as declared by the President or Congress.
  • The post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 or “New GI Bill” has been enacted into law.
  • Although most veterans have 10 years from their date of discharge to use their VA educational benefits, the “New GI Bill” allows 15 years.

Benefits Requirements

Rates of benefits vary. For the most recent information or more information on all VA educational programs, visit the VA website at or call toll free 1-888-442-4551.

All veterans and eligible individuals receiving subsistence allowances under the GI Bill are required to report PROMPTLY to the Veterans Affairs any changes which may affect the amount of money being received. Students are required to report when they drop courses, withdraw from school, change marital status or stop attending classes for any reason. Students are not only expected to achieve satisfactory progress but to regularly pursue goals and attend classes.

The repeat of a course for a grade of A, B, C, D, S or I will not count toward the required minimum credit hours. However, if the first grade earned was a F, the course may be repeated for veteran’s credit. Veterans educational benefits will not pay for audited classes, course challenges or unsatisfactory grades.

Students receiving Veterans educational benefits will be placed on academic probation any time his/her cumulative grade point average (GPA) falls below 2.0.

A student on probation will be required to meet with a retention advisor before starting the next semester to discuss academic goals and barriers and ways to achieve the goals. A review of the academic assistance available at FVCC and the development of a plan to assist the individual in achieving his/her academic goals will also take place.

If a student fails to improve his/her GPA each term while on academic probation, he/she will have two options - to choose academic suspension for a period of no less than one year or to agree to a plan of extensive remediation developed by the college. If remediation is unsuccessful or if the student fails to comply with the prescribed plan, he/ she will be suspended immediately for no less than one year. A student reinstated after being on academic suspension will be required to meet with a retention advisor prior to registering each semester.

Once a student’s cumulative GPA improves to a 2.0 or better, he/ she will be removed from academic probation or suspension status and will no longer be required to meet with a retention advisor.

FVCC will be participating in the Yellow Ribbon program for Veterans using the Post-9/11 GI Bill during the 2015/2016 academic year. Visit for more information about the Yellow Ribbon Program.

VA laws are subject to change without notice. Students should visit the GI Bill website for the most updated information:

Learning Center

Learning Resource Center, Room 129, (406) 756-3890

The mission of the Learning Center is to promote student success, increase retention, graduation, transfer and placement rates and foster an institutional climate conducive to student success.

The FVCC Learning Center provides a number of services and activities designed to promote student access and success in postsecondary education, including

  • TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education) and HiSET (Hight testing;
  • Testing (COMPASS placement testing, ACT, SAT, career, and personality);
  • Advising for Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science, Certificate of Applied Science, and certificate and transfer students in coordination with faculty advisors;
  • Counseling (group and individual personal, academic, and career);
  • Disability services;
  • Career exploration;
  • Placement services;
  • Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction; and
  • Learning labs (math, language arts).

Adult Learning Center

Funded with Federal, State, and local dollars, the free Adult Basic Education classes help students improve their reading, writing, math, problem solving and computer skills to obtain a high school equivalency diploma, find employment, retain employment, or build skills to enter a postsecondary school.

Flathead County

Margaret Girkins, Program Director, Adult Learning Center
Learning Resource Center, Room 129, (406) 756-3884 -

Lincoln County

FVCC Lincoln County Campus, 225 Commerce Way, Libby, MT., (406) 293-2721

The Adult Learning Center offers FREE day and evening classes in Flathead and Lincoln Counties. The center assists individuals age 16 and older who wish to

  • Improve reading, writing, math, language, computer, test taking and study skills;
  • Prepare for the HiSET (High School Equivalency Test);
  • Refresh academic skills before entering college or a training program;
  • Receive vocational training;
  • Build employment and like skills to enhance transition to work;
  • Explore career options and create a plan;
  • Build English as a Second Language (ESL) speaking, writing, and math skills for those whose native language is not English.

HiSET is conducted at the Kalispell and Lincoln County campuses of FVCC. Call (406) 756-3884 in Flathead County or (406) 293-2721 ext. 235 in Lincoln County for testing schedules and registration.

General Basic Education - Individualized program of instruction in reading, writing, math, spelling, study and job readiness skills.

Writing Skills - Individualized and small group instruction and practice in basic English grammar, capitalization, punctuation, usage, spelling and effective writing.

Reading Improvement - Individualized and small group instruction to improve vocabulary and comprehension skills.

Basic Mathematics - Individualized and small group instruction in basic math and problem solving skills with whole numbers, fractions, decimals, percents, measurement, algebra and geometry.

English as a Second Language (ESL) - Individualized and small group instruction in basic reading, phonics and written communication skills for adults whose native language is not English.


Learning Resource Center, Room 129
For appointments, call (406) 756-3880

All degree-seeking students, as well as anyone taking writing and math classes, are required to take the COMPASS placement tests as part of the admissions process.

Additional tests administered through the Learning Center include:

  • ACT and SAT for college admissions;
  • Testing accommodations for students with learning disabilities;
  • Proctored testing for correspondence courses;
  • TABE and HiSET tests for adult basic education; and
  • Alternative testing site for classroom support.

Advising, Counseling, and Career Exploration

Learning Resource Center, Room 129
For appointments, call (406) 756-3880

Learning Center staff provides advising for Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science, certificate and transfer students in coordination with faculty advisors. Additionally, counseling staff will assist any student seeking counseling services, including personal, career, or academic, or provide appropriate referral if necessary.

Career Exploration

Career planning services are available to students and the community.  Services include:

  • Assisting students in the selection of college majors or providing career directions;
  • Career Inventories such as Montana Career Information System (MCIS);
  • Individual career advising, decision making and goal setting;
  • Assistance with college admissions, selection of majors and financial aid resources; and
  • Assistance with computerized career systems.

Disability Support Services

Anna San Diego, Program Coordinator, Disabilities Services
Learning Resource Center, Room 129 -
For appointments, call (406) 756-3880 or (406) 756-3890.

The Disability Support Services Office coordinates reasonable academic accommodations for students with disabilities. Accommodations may include but are not limited to ASL interpreting, note takers, audio books, alternative testing, and assistive technology. To access services and accommodations, students should contact the Specialist, Disabilities Services and Assessment upon their decision to attend FVCC or immediately following the diagnosis of a disability. Each qualified person shall receive the accommodations needed to ensure equal access to educational opportunities, programs, and activities. FVCC strives to create an accessible and inclusive campus environment for students with disabilities.

Americans with Disabilities Act

Flathead Valley Community College, as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), has an established grievance procedure for handling a claim or allegation of discrimination based on a disability. The purpose of this procedure is to promote the prompt and efficient resolution of complaints by any person of alleged discrimination concerning program, activity, service or physical accessibility at FVCC.

Copies of this procedure may be obtained from the Disability Support Services Office.

Career Development

Karen Darrow, Program Coordinator, Career Development
Learning Resource Center, Room 144, (406) 756-3900 -

The Career Development Office is a resource for students interested in finding either full or part-time employment. Job placement services available to FVCC students and alumni include:

  • Job Board listing current job openings;
  • Employer information;
  • Job search skills: (workshops and individual appointments)
    • Resumes;
    • Interviewing; and
    • Effective job search techniques;
  • Graduate Placement Survey information; and
  • Career Coach

Educational Opportunity Center

A Department of Education TRIO Program
Linda Ornowski, EOC Outreach Counselor,
Room 141, (406) 756-3916 -

The Educational Opportunity Center caters to individuals who are no longer in school but want to pursue high school, HiSET or college diplomas. The EOC encourages individuals to return to high school or enter college by providing:

  • Career guidance;
  • Academic advising;
  • Financial aid assistance;
  • College application; and
  • Linkages to other agencies providing assistance.

The EOC is part of a Montana State University - Northern program that serves potential students all across northern Montana. The EOC is a federally-funded TRIO program.

Student Resources

Dining Services

The Eagle’s Nest Cafe, located in Blake Hall, serves breakfast, lunch and snacks on weekdays when classes are in session. Dining cards of $10 and $20 values are available in the Business Services Office. Menus and prices are established with student budgets in mind.


Denise Shuman, Bookstore Manager, Blake Hall, Room 164,
(406) 756-3814 -

The FVCC Bookstore supplies all textbooks, school supplies and art supplies required for classes. The bookstore also stocks study aids, computer supplies, postage stamps, snack items, college T-shirts and sweatshirts, greeting cards and gift items. Visa, Mastercard and American Express are accepted.

Check policy: Student ID number is required. Checks may be written for $5 over the amount of purchase.


Textbook Refund Return Policy (beginning of term)

Students: Do not write in new textbooks until you are certain they are for the course in which you are enrolled.

  1. Books must be returned during the first two weeks of class for a full refund.
  2. All refunds or exchanges require the cash register receipt - No exceptions.
  3. Be sure you return the book immediately if:
    1. You have the wrong book.
    2. You dropped a class or class was cancelled.
    3. You decide you don’t need the book.
  4. Price stickers must be left on textbooks.
  5. After the first two weeks of the term, textbook returns must be made within three days of purchase for a full refund.
  6. Textbooks purchased for short, interim or late starting block classes have a three day return policy, three days from the beginning of the class.
  7. New books must be in mint condition.
    1. No marks or blemishes.
    2. Clean pages.
    3. No folded corners - No exceptions.
  8. Caution: Do not write in a new book until you are sure it is the correct textbook.
  9. Any defective new or used book must be exchanged at least four weeks before finals.
  10. New textbooks which are shrink wrapped may not be returned if unwrapped.

No exceptions will be allowed.

Textbook Buy-back Policy (at the end of the semester)

If textbook is purchased from the FVCC Bookstore -

  1. Student ID required.
  2. Cash register receipt required for book buy back.
  3. The bookstore cannot guarantee the buy back of any books at any time.
  4. The bookstore pays 50% of the current new price for books to be used in the coming term. Overstocked books do not qualify for the 50%.
  5. If student owes the college money, then buy back funds are posted to student’s account.
  6. Textbooks not purchased at the FVCC Bookstore are not eligible for book buy back.
  7. The best national wholesale prices available will be offered for books which are not in use on our campus or are overstocked.
  8. Study guides, books with questions and answer spaces filled in and reproduced materials are not bought back.
  9. Book buy back periods are limited to the week of finals.
  10. Books classified as old editions and out-of-print may have no monetary value to the bookstore or the used book dealer; you may want to keep them for reference or donate.

Textbook Reservations

Students have the option of filling out a textbook reservation form to reserve and pay for textbooks each semester. Forms are available in the bookstore. Students complete schedule information with course numbers and instructors’ names. Students may choose to pick up books or have them mailed to their home addresses. Payment may be made by cash, check or credit card. Students receiving federal/state grants, student loans or other scholarships may request that the bookstore take the cost of books out of their financial aid.

Campus Grounds

Campus Grounds is operated by the FVCC Bookstore and located in Blake Hall and the Arts and Technology building. Campus Grounds serves up espressos, lattes, mochas and steamers, sells fun merchandise and provides an inviting, relaxing and comfortable space for students to lounge, study, watch television or read the daily newspaper. Coffee cards and gift certificates are available for purchase in the bookstore.

Student Health Clinic

The Student Health Clinic, funded by the Student Health Fee is available to students taking seven or more credits. Students taking between 4-6 credits can opt in by paying the semester health fee at the FVCC Business Office.

The clinic provides health care services that include:

  • Primary health care/Urgent Care
  • Health evaluations, treatment of minor injuries and acute health problems such as colds, flu, bladder infections, sprains, and strains
  • STD evaluations and tests
  • Procedures and cultures including blood and urine testing, pap smears, and pregnancy testing
  • Reproductive health care
  • Treatment for wart removal
  • Medical, surgical and dental referrals
  • Limited in-office laboratory testing provided free of charge (mono, strep, flu, urinary infections and pregnancy testing). Other laboratory tests and all x-rays are referred into the community and payment is the student’s responsibility
  • Physical examinations for overseas academic programs and some employment physicals, nursing and allied health programs
  • Loan of crutches
  • Condoms - free of charge
  • Flu shots ($15.00 for students that have paid the $45.00 clinic fee)

For more information and clinic hours, please call the clinic at (406) 756-4331, or stop by Room 136 inside Rebecca Chaney Broussard Center for Nursing and Health Science (BC building) or visit the FVCC web page for additional information.

For immediate or serious emergencies, please dial 911.

Health Insurance

Student health insurance is not offered through the college. Students are responsible for making their own arrangements for health insurance.


Flathead Valley Community College’s library is located in LRC, Room 102. Its growing collection includes 66,123 volumes and 130 periodical subscriptions. The well-equipped library features seating for over 110 in a variety of settings including individual study areas, lounge seating and traditional study tables. A full-time staff of three and student assistants are available to assist students with their information needs. A wireless Internet lobby and study zone extends the library’s space in the LRC.

Some of the library services offered include:

  • SIRSI/DYNIX automated web catalog and circulation system;
  • Internet work stations, circulating laptops, and personal computers for student use linked to the college’s LAN and network printer;
  • Self-service photocopier;
  • Interlibrary loans;
  • OCLC/WORLDSHARE, featuring the holdings of libraries worldwide, totaling 68,000,000 records;
  • Wireless printing from your mobile device;
  • Quiet study rooms with overhead projectors for group study;
  • Non-circulating collection of college textbooks;
  • Faculty reserves;
  • Circulating video collection of over 4,000 educational videos;
  • Periodical and reference online databases including EBSCO, SCIENCE SOURCE, NEWSBANK and SIRS; Encyclopedia Americana Online; CLC (Contemporary, Literary, Criticism) and PROQUEST SCIENCE JOURNALS and JSTOR;
  • Montana periodicals index;
  • Extensive USGS topographic map collection;
  • Bibliographic instruction and tours in the use of the library for classes or groups;
  • Montana and Northwest city phone books;
  • Telefacsimile (Fax) service;
  • Wireless Internet Node;
  • Member of Montana Shared Catalog (MSC), a consortium of 171 member libraries aimed at sharing library materials;
  • 3,000 Online E-Books;
  • Circulating laptops;
  • Extensive hard-copy current newspaper and periodical subscriptions;
  • Self-service flatbed scanner; and
  • Circulating chess sets.

During fall and spring semesters, the library is open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m, Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Summer hours are 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday during the summer session.

Instructional Media Services

The Media Center, located in LRC 117, provides faculty, students, and staff with non-print instructional materials, audio-visual equipment, and related services used in the classroom or for instruction. For students, these services often include assistance in making PowerPoint presentations, renting of graphing calculators, and the digitizing of print, photo, or video materials to be used in multimedia applications. For faculty and staff, these services also include scheduling of meetings via interactive television, maintenance of a video library and equipment collection that supports the curriculum and other college endeavors, and support utilizing equipment in classrooms and meeting rooms. For a complete list of services, please visit the Media Center website at

The Media Center is open during fall and spring semesters, Monday through Thursday, from 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Summer hours and interim hours vary.

Campus Childcare

Laurie Peiffer, Director, ECC, (406) 756-3991 -

The FVCC Early Childhood Center accepts children ages six-weeks old to six-years old. The program is based on developmentally appropriate practices that meet the needs of each individual child. The center offers full-day and half-day programs in each of the infant, toddler and pre-school areas.

Mission and Philosophy

The FVCC Early Childhood Center will provide an environment in which children can have limitless opportunities to maximize their developmental and learning potential.


Enrollment is based on the Center’s needs and the following priority order:

  • Current family members
  • FVCC students (Must be enrolled in a minimum of nine credits)
  • Full-time regular FVCC employees
  • Community members/general public

Financial assistance is available to FVCC students enrolled in a minimum of nine credits through the FVCC Financial Aid Office. For more information, or to obtain an application for child care assistance, contact the FVCC Financial Aid Office by calling (406) 756-3849.

To schedule a tour of the facility, please contact Laurie Peiffer by calling (406) 756-3991 or by emailing

Student Activities and Development

Blake Hall, Room 155, (406) 756-3981

The Student Activities Office serves as a resource for all student organizations on campus as well as sponsors a variety of campus activities and events including Welcome Week. All students are invited to participate in student organizations.

For information about Student Activities and Clubs see the FVCC website or contact the Student Engagement Program Coordinator, Genia Allen-Schmid in Blake Hall 155 or at

For information about Service Learning Opportunities see the FVCC website or contact the Service Learning Program Coordinator, Wendy Jeschke in Blake Hall 155 or at

For information about Intramurals see the FVCC website or contact the Intramurals Program Coordinator, Sarah Bergford in Blake Hall 160 or at


Karen Darrow, Career Development, Program Coordinator,
Learning Center, Room 129, (406) 756-3900 -

At FVCC, internships are academic courses that offer college credit. Like classroom work, internships are an integral part of a student’s educational preparation. An internship gives the student the opportunity to apply their classroom knowledge to the workplace, learn new skills, network with potential employers and gain confidence in their abilities.

Internships are a partnership between students and local business/organizations. Some internship experiences include compensation to the student while others that meet the federal and state guidelines criteria for “work-based learning” may be unpaid. Interns spend approximately 50 hours/credit at their internship sites, usually working about 10-30 hours per week throughout the semester.

In order to be considered for placement at an internship site, complete applications, including an approved resume and list of references, must be submitted by the first Monday in July for a fall semester placement, the first Monday in November for a spring semester placement, or the first Monday in April for a summer semester placement. Internship applications are available online at or in LRC 129. Students must attend an Internship Orientation the semester prior to their internship.

After submitting a complete application packet, prospective interns will be interviewed by potential intern sites. Once an intern site (i.e. business or organization) accepts an intern, an internship agreement can be signed and the student intern may register for the internship course. Additionally, an instructor will be assigned to the intern to monitor the student’s learning and evaluate the student’s progress through assignments, evaluations, and site visits.

To make an appointment to discuss internship needs, call (406) 756-3880 or (406) 756-3890.

Study Abroad

The Study Abroad program at FVCC invites students to study internationally in both short (one to four weeks) and full-semester trips abroad while earning college credit. These cultural immersion programs to various destinations around the world provide students with a learning opportunity of a lifetime. Recent study abroad destinations include studying art and Italian in Venice, experiencing Shakespeare in London, exploring science at the Galapagos Islands, and tutoring/coaching high school students in Brazil.

To find out more about these opportunities, visit

The Honors Program at Flathead Valley Community College

The Honors Program at FVCC, established in 2009, provides an opportunity for highly motivated students to experience academically rigorous cross-disciplinary honors courses. The program is limited to 20 students. The seminar style courses are four credits each and are primarily taught through the Socratic method with emphasis placed on class discussion and student presentation.

The classes combine any two of the traditional academic disciplines - global issues, humanities, social sciences, mathematics, science and fine arts - and are taught by a team of two instructors. Students can choose to apply the credits toward the appropriate category of general education courses required for graduation. These courses are offered in the fall and spring semesters.

The Honors Program offers academic preparation and curriculum planning to help students succeed in transferring to honors programs and articulates with both the Davidson Honors College at The University of Montana, and the University Honors Program at Montana State University.

Program benefits include a full-tuition scholarship plus a renewable stipend, one-on-one mentoring with faculty, an enriched learning environment with a specially designed classroom and study area and increased potential for financial aid upon transfer.

Graduates of The Honors Program receive special designations on their transcripts and are presented with medallions at FVCC commencement. Admission requirements include a complete honors program application, an essay, letter of reference, statement of career and academic plans, transcripts and ACT, SAT or Compass placement test scores.

For more information visit

Veterans Center

Located in the Learning Resource Center, Room 111, the center serves as a place to meet fellow veterans, receive assistance with services, learn about upcoming events, study, relax between classes, and as a meeting place for the FVCC Veterans Association student group.